Georgia Sports Blog FanShop

December 2, 2005

Top of the Heap

Great article in the AJC about the power shift from Tennessee and Florida to Georgia and LSU.

TOP OF THE HEAP
The SEC's winningest programs the past five years:
Team Record Pct. SEC titles
1. Georgia 59-16 .787 1
2. LSU 58-17 .773 2
3. Auburn 55-20 .733 1
4. Tennessee 52-23 .693 0
5. Florida 51-23 .689 1
6. South Carolina 40-30 .571 0
7. Arkansas 40-33 .548 0
8. Alabama 39-33 .542 0
9. Ole Miss 37-33 .529 0
10. Miss. State 22-47 .319 0
11. Kentucky 20-48 .294 0
12. Vanderbilt 16-52 .235 0


Separately and totally unrelated, the Tampa Tribune had an article earlier this week saying that Florida is a *strong* candidate for the Outback Bowl. The risky scenario for Georgia is Florida in the Outback as it forces the Peach to choose between Georgia and South Carolina in the event of a UGA loss in the SECC game. Just something to consider.

pwd

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Everytime I read something about possible bowl pairings I get a sick feeling in my stomach. For some reason I just have a feeling UGA is going to get screwed in this whole process and get bumped to the bottom bowl.

Astronaut Mike Dexter said...

Best quote from that article: "You've got to be careful reaching around." Boy, do you ever.

I've had some of the same worries as Justin, but based on the Trib story it sounds like the SEC is going to make every effort to snap the Outback in line when it comes to team selections this year. The Outback Bowl really pissed off the conference when they jumped the gun and grabbed Florida a couple years ago, and even back then there was talk that the SEC would have no qualms about punting the Outback entirely and going after the Gator Bowl if something similar were to happen again.

Worrier said...

Before anyone points it out, I'll admit that my team sucked this year so "who am I to comment". But I'll say it anyway because I pull for UGA in the game, If UGA would beat UF every now and then, maybe UGA could complain about UF's bowl destinations.

I do think the SEC should get heavy with the Bareback bowl and tell them to take UGA instead of the Gaytors.

Anyway, what I really wanted to comment on - what surprised me in the list was that South Carolina and Arkansas have such winning records over the last 5 years - who'd a thunk it.

Hunker Down said...

Moot by 10:30 Saturday night because the Dawgs will accept the gracious offer to make a January 2 appearance in the Georgia Dome for the Sugar Bowl.

Too much posturing for where Georgia goes bowling for my comfort. Beat LSU and eliminate the mystery.

I liked what Jeff Schultz said, "For Georgia, there are only two bowls. The Sugar Bowl and not the Sugar Bowl." At least no SEC teams will be bowling on a blue field, at 9:00 am in sub-freezing temperatures.

GATFA

 
Copyright 2009 Georgia Sports Blog. Powered by Blogger Blogger Templates create by Deluxe Templates. WP by Masterplan