Georgia Sports Blog FanShop

March 20, 2006

March Madness: Power Conferences

Much has been written about the power conferences vs. mid-majors. And much more will be written today. By my math, here is how the Power Conferences faired in the tourney:

ACC:
4 teams
6-2 record
2 Teams in Sweet 16

Big 10:
6 teams
3-6 record
0 Teams in Sweet 16

Big 12:
4 teams
3-3 record
1 Team in Sweet 16

Big East:
8 teams
8-5 record
3 Teams in Sweet 16

Pac-10:
4 teams
5-2 record
2 Teams in Sweet 16

SEC:
6 teams
7-4 record
2 Teams in Sweet 16

So, the MVC landed as many teams in the Sweet 16 as the SEC, Pac 10 and ACC and more than the Big 10 or Big 12. Add to them the Colonial's entry (George Mason) and the Patriot League's entry (Bucknell) into the 3rd round, and it begs the question....doesn't Packer owe someone an apology?

pwd

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think Fogler was run out of South Carolina. Fogler's teams tended to have success in the regular season and SEC tournament and then just fizzle in the NCAAs. So they hired Dave Odom... Which was a poor choice. Odom is a coach that took Wake to the Elite 8 only once and had a good matchup against Oklahoma State, which was a totally blown opportunity for the Deacs. Odom's teams never really were dominant in the tournament and their exits were characterized as being dominated in the games that they were eliminated in. Stanford and Kentucky (several times) outclassed the Deacs in the tournament. Fogler also has "Foot in Mouth Syndrome" occasionally. Fogler's offensive system at South Carolina was heavily dependent on guard play and he never was able to recruit a legitimate force down low. B.J. McKie and Melvin Watson were a great duo, but the Fogler era at Carolina was truly dependent on their success. That's just my opinion, you could disagree. (I'm definitely not saying Fogler was a bad coach, just wanted to make it clear.) If I knew then what I know now, I would not have picked Carolina to go all the way back-to-back years. But you know what... I was 12 years old doing those brackets. If I really wanted to win a bracket pool, I would have a girl fill it out for me.

Anonymous said...

Okay, I hate "Mr. Grammar" man as much as anybody, and hate that I am posting this, BUT I notice that you consistently use the word "faired" when you are saying "Let's see how these teams did." In that context, the correct word if "Fared" without the i. In fact, I don't think there is a proper way to use "Faired". A fair is gathering of boths and rides in the fall, i.e., a noun; or, it's an adjective, as in "this is a fair post" or an adverb as in "this is a fairly annoying post", but it is never a verb to my knowledge.

Unknown said...

I'm 99.9999999% positive that I used the word "faired" totally wrong in that sentence.

So...fair point.

Anonymous said...

Way to go, Carolina Guy.

Not only do you continue to publicly embarass your entire family, but now you have extended that shame to your entire overrated conference.

Billy P-ACC-ker was arguing on your conference's behalf, you dolt.

Unknown said...

Hobnail, you have inspired me. I'm giong to work to include "Dolt" in my everyday language more often.

pwd

 
Copyright 2009 Georgia Sports Blog. Powered by Blogger Blogger Templates create by Deluxe Templates. WP by Masterplan