Georgia Sports Blog FanShop

April 6, 2006

The SEC's #1 Heckler?

The NY Times has an article on "Vandy Lance" a Vanderbilt fan whose heckling has become legendary. Per the article:
"A recent scouting report of the Vanderbilt baseball team, put together by a league opponent, read in part: "The top recruiting class in the nation, including a heavy-hitting third baseman. Tough place to play. No. 1 heckler in the Southeastern Conference."
This pretty much makes Vandy Lance the ultimate "That Guy." He's the guy that other fans say, "You see that guy? I hate that guy. That guy right there is the reason I hate Vandy fans."

I know what you're thinking. "The New York Times? Why on earth is the 'Paper of Record' writing about SEC fans?" Just to ease your mind, I can tell you that the writer doesn't blame George Bush for Vandy's lack of athletic success. Nor does the article establish a link between Halliburton and Vandy Lance. So...it's a safe read no matter your political leanings.


Vandy Lance in Action

Hat tip to Warren.

pwd

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why is it that the most obnoxious fans are the ones who never stepped foot on campus as students? The Dawgs certainly have our fair share.

Anonymous said...

That may or may not be true,I've never seen a scientific study on obnoxious fans.However....I think for the most part that is a lot of wishful thinking on the part of alumni.I've heard way to much bragging about boorish escapades involving rivals.Get over yourselves,please.

Unknown said...

Most fans of all teams lack the basic ability to understand the difference between obnoxious and abusive. You should never violate another person's personal space, property or safety. That's absusive behavior and should never be tolerated.

But obnoxious is in the eye of the beholder. Is barking obnoxious? Yes. But so what? Is getting a loud and boisterous in your support of your team oboxious? Probably to some prude it is.

And who cares. No one ever got an award for being the classiest fan base.

The idea fan base has the passion for their sport of the LSU football fans and the self restraint of the Vandy fans. But no such fan exists.

I'm as obnoxious as anyone you'll meet, but i don't violate your stuff or your space so who cares. And I'm an alum.

Dawgnoxious has 2 degrees from UGA. he's even more obnoxious than I am.

pwd

Dawgnoxious said...

Obnixous is definitely in the eye the beholder. I think PWD is way more obnoxious than me.

I think the non-alum fans always have a nagging sense of inferiority because they aren't "official" fans, so they make up for it by being "better" fans.

Unknown said...

Dawgnoxious, you lying whore.

You once called a woman's basketball player from Oklahoma State "a hairy backed Sasquatch" from the front row where there was no possible way that she wouldn't hear you.

Granted, that was like 8 years ago, but don't even pretend that I'm as obnoxious as you at UGA Games.

Drunker maybe.

But obnoxious? I don't know. Just because I was banned from the State of Arkansas for 4 years doesn't mean I'm more obnoxious than you are.

Wait....maybe it does.

pwd

Anonymous said...

That is hilarious...at last year's Vandy game I got some really great seats down front on the Vandy side. Since we were wearing UGA stuff obviously, we started getting heckled right when we sat down. I started getting a little peeved, and the fans in front of me said, "Nevermind him, that's just Vandy Lance." I had no idea I had been in the presence of greatness.:) Anyway, I would say he's not the SECs best heckler, because if he were, he would've kept going throughout the entire game. However, he stopped due to a combination of Georgia turning it on and me saying I was going to kick his ass if he didnt shut up...then he left the game early. SEC's greatest heckler??? I think not.

Unknown said...

They didn't say he was the SEC's "biggest" heckler. Most folks will shut up if a big enough dude tells them to.

even me.

pwd

 
Copyright 2009 Georgia Sports Blog. Powered by Blogger Blogger Templates create by Deluxe Templates. WP by Masterplan