Georgia Sports Blog FanShop

July 11, 2006

More Classic UGA Videos from the vault

You ready to go deep in the vault? I mean REALLY deep? Well, Scott Hartman, grandson of legendary UGA all-american/coach Bill Hartman, Sr. and son of WSB's sportscaster tipped us off to some classic TV moments. (Note: You'll need Quicktime to view these)

How about a video on Herschel's recruitment? Did GT have a shot at Herschel? Their coaching staff told Channel 5 at the time that they did.

Or maybe you'd like to see picture day in 1980 for UGA and Georgia Tech.

How about a higher resolution version of the Herschel Running on the Edge of Time video.

Anyway - here's Scott's note to us. Thanks man!

- - - - - -
Hi Paul,

Thought I'd drop you a line. That's my Herschel video you posted. I should give credit where credit is due. It's taken from a 1982 special that Channel 5 did called "Will Herschel Win the Heisman?" It aired the night before he did indeed win. My Dad worked on that special back when he used to be at WAGA (now Fox 5). I grafted the video off a really old VHS tape that was about to snap.

If you want a higher-resolution version. I have a QuickTime clip of it up at www.homepage.mac.com/scotthartman You also might enjoy this clip, despite the fact that it includes GT's picture day in 1981 - but it also shows the Dogs.

Have a good day.
Scott Hartman

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

pwd,

Just saw this linked over at The Porch. Incredible.

The Photo Day footage is enlightening. This is a must see and should be studied for just how different the world of Georgia Fan and Tech fan is.

Pay special close attention to

*Vince Dooley Smiling Standing Next to Pretty Girls

*Bill Curry getting a first good look at his roster and looking like he's about to throw-up. Seriously. Look at his face. Pain.

*Herschel Walker Kissing Children

*Georgia Tech's 38 year old Yugoslavian Quarterback

This video is a must see for anyone who grew up in the Metro Atlanta area during the 1980's. Memories. If you were a Georgia fan you were a winner. If you were a Tech fan, you were, well, not.

Jeff said...

Not all that related to this post, but this story recently came out about how Herchel nearly committed to Clemson. The mention of GT recruiting him reminded me of it. This may have even been on GSB before, but I don't remember.

Michael Pigott said...

Talk about classic, how about Bama @ Ga. 1985. Just kidding.

Unknown said...

Cool Hand,

I wasn't a UGA fan back then, but I've heard Dawgs tell about what a heart breaker that was.

In 1985, I was 13 years old living in Montgomery, and later that year I remember screaming my head off in our neighbor's apartment watching The Kick and thinking Van Tiffin is the coolest human being on earth.

Enjoy.

It wasn't until last night that I realized Shula was the QB for Bama in that game.

BTW -- It also wasn't until last night that I realized that Ray Perkins record was something like 32-16-1. He was coming off a 9-2-1 and 10-3 seasons when Bama fired him.

I always thought he had done much, much worse. But I guess I was remembering the Bama press' reaction to him.

pwd

Michael Pigott said...

It took the death penalty, damn near, to scare a little reality into a fan base. Bama(fans included) have always set the bar way to high. Perkins went to the Tampa Bay, enough said. He needed a vacation. That's an actual quote.

Anonymous said...

Re Ray Perkins..he of the Bama genre of player/coaches who you'd never buy a used car from...Denny Ford, Mike Dubose, etc...I remember him lying, as usual, "I love Bama..I'll never leave"..all the time negotiating for 15% stock and other bennies from Tampa Day..good riddance to them all!

Jmac said...

Scott's also got a great road trip documentary to Tennessee from 1999 ... ask him to post that one ... good stuff.

DAve said...

Scott also put this together for our Tent City tailgating crew:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3ZaX0FGDBE

We're gonna try to do another one this year.

(FWIW, I'm the one that "needs bourbon")

Anonymous said...

Does anyone have enough old dawg footage to do a Georgia version of this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSMsi5SmQfw&search=auburn

 
Copyright 2009 Georgia Sports Blog. Powered by Blogger Blogger Templates create by Deluxe Templates. WP by Masterplan