Georgia Sports Blog FanShop

April 5, 2007

While I'm cleaning up my "draft" folder



I heard about the Transformers Movie (opens July 4th) from my brother a while back. My reaction was "Are you kidding me? Someone was that desperate for a movie idea? What sort of Georgia Tech grad would fork over $10 to see such a pile of poo? My indignation and condescension were both boisterous and overbearing.

Then I saw the teaser trailer and the follow-up trailer. Complete. Opinion. 180.


Here's a movie by Michael Bay and Steven Spielberg that showcases everything right with American Cinema. A movie that shows signs Man Law level awesomenesses. To wit, it contains:
    Guns
    Chicks
    Fire trucks
    Robots
    Stuff that blows up
    Stuff that almost blows up
    Lots of loud noises and shiny objects
Yeah. So I'm definitely going to see it. But that's not why I posted this. I posted this because Optimus Prime has been selected by the Newspapers Association of America (NAA) to endorse their campaign to get people to read more newspapers. A combo so random and ironic as to justify comment on a very slow news day like this one.



Obviously....I've got nothing today. Clearly. Just totally nothing.

PWD

ht - Brian at MGoBlog and Notes from a Teacher.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Michael Bay should stick to his specialty of movie trailers and music videos in my opinion. Independence Day, Pearl Harbor, Armageddon all had overly impressive trailers but all landed in the OK-to-horrible range once I saw them. Fool me thrice, shame on me.

Unknown said...

Ruteger,

You just have to change your mind set when you go see something from him. You can't say, "I'd like to see a sweeping tale with nuance and theme."

Instead you say, "I'd like to see stuff blow up."

It's all perspective.

Sure, it won't be Smokey and the Bandit, which is the type of film that you watch and then have small group break out sessions to discuss the subtext and textures of such a rich cinematic masterpiece.

But not every movie can be as wonderful and complete as Burt Reynold's masterpiece.

Agreed?

PWD

Anonymous said...

I hear ya. It's just to me, Michael Bay's movies have the largest percentage drop off from expectation to result of any director I've ever seen. Thus anytime I see a Bay film coming up now I say "Meh". Certainly a shoot-em-up/blow-em-up has it's place in my interest and I LOVE a great action movie, but I'll save my excitement for Pirates of the Carribean 3, Indiana Jones 4, any new James Cameron flick, or the new Bourne movie. I'll reserve a special spot for Transformers for that hour of the night when I can't sleep and "XXX-State of the Union" and "Transporter 2" aren't on HBO anymore.

And yes, it is folly to think that any other film could equal such a saga that revolved around the most noblest of ideals: supplying beer to the thirsty. Burt Reynolds=patron saint.

Anonymous said...

Dude! Did you know Transformers are robots -- in disguise?!?!

Anonymous said...

Optimus Prime is my hero! Transformers more than meets the eye!

Jeff Johnson said...

And yes, I will go and relive my childhood, if only for a brief 90-120 minutes. I will be a kid again, and it will supremely rock the house!

 
Copyright 2009 Georgia Sports Blog. Powered by Blogger Blogger Templates create by Deluxe Templates. WP by Masterplan