Georgia Sports Blog FanShop

June 25, 2007

Who's Blown Out the Most in the SEC?


Richt holds up 1 finger for each of Nutt's blowouts

Phillip Marshall of the Huntsville Times wrote an interesting piece about the frequency that certain SEC coaches get blown out. Per his article:
For the comparison to be fair, I limited it to coaches who have spent at least five seasons in the SEC. I limited my research to the last five seasons each coach spent in the SEC. I didn't look at coaches from Vanderbilt, the Mississippi schools or Kentucky for obvious reasons. I also decided a "blowout" would be a game in which a team lost by 14 points or more.

That left me with Tuberville, Alabama's Nick Saban (from his LSU days), Georgia's Mark Richt, Tennessee's Phillip Fulmer, Arkansas' Houston Nutt and South Carolina's Steve Spurrier (at South Carolina and Florida). When I began to look through the records, I really wasn't sure what to expect.
Richt came out *extremely* well.
    1. Nutt, 10 blowouts (no shocker there)
    2. Saban, 9
    3. Fulmer and Tuberville, 8
    5. Spurrier, 6
    6. Richt, 3
I will say that the rankings are a little misleading. Saban was in Year 1 and Richt in Year 2 when Marshall started his tracker while Tuberville (Year 4), Nutt (Year 5) and Fulmer and Spurrier were already well established. In other words, Tuberville's and Fulmer's stats are even worse than the others given their well established tenure.

PWD

ht - dawghunter on DawgRun.com

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that writer excluded one game because Richt has suffered 4 blow out losses according to my count(as much as I hate to point that out).
2001- Lost to UF by 14
2003- Lost to LSWho by 21
2004- Lost to Auburn by 17
2006- Lost to Tennessee by 18
......But hey, Richt is still in front of the other coaches.

Unknown said...

He said last 5 years.

The 2001 loss was 6 years ago.

Joe Friday said...

Wasn't Saban's first year at LSU 2000 or 2001? That would have put him in year 2 or 3 of his tenure when this list started.

Anonymous said...

I think the writer meant each coach's last 5 years in the SEC. So that would mean that Richt's and Tubberville's last 5 years are different years from Spurrier's or Saban's 5 years.

Anonymous said...

I think they backed it up a few years b/c of Saban's recent years in the NFL... Just think if he included those... HA. Any excuse to call Saban a jackass. I am glad he is back. Just what this conference needs, another egotistical maniac for a head coach. It just makes me happy we have Richt. I think this illustrates the consistency that Richt provides for UGA. Maybe one of these years, things will fall our way and we'll win all of the close ones (especially in Jax) and get into the NC hunt. Heres hoping!

Anonymous said...

I was surprise Fulmer wasn't the leader but I did forget about Nutt-man. Seems for the last few years, my Vols have had at least one a year and maybe even more surprising was that these often occurred in Neyland with being the deliverer in one when they scored that fumble right before halftime. Blowouts at home have been a key reason the seat's getting hotter for Fulmer.

Anonymous said...

Does it really matter if you get blown out or lose by 1? Are Uga fans really saying (for example) that 17 point losses to UF are inexcusable but 7 point losses are totally fine?

Is Tennessee's 31-14 loss to Arkansas a disgrace but a 31-24 loss is reason to celebrate?

Unknown said...

Anon- 11:46

I don't think I or anyone else really passed much of a value statement on the stats. Except that blowouts are bad.

No one said close losses are good.

It's just a topic for conversation.

 
Copyright 2009 Georgia Sports Blog. Powered by Blogger Blogger Templates create by Deluxe Templates. WP by Masterplan