Georgia Sports Blog FanShop

March 29, 2008

Major Blog Overhaul Sort of Complete

Over the weekend, I revamped the technical guts of the site in order to:
  • Improve Wireless Access - The site was a train wreck on many wireless devices. It should be much easier to view now. It still is not optimized for the Blackberry, Treo or iPhone, but it should be better.

  • Implement Better Navigation - I want you to find the content you're looking for faster. That's why I revamped the navigational stuff over on the left side. The monthly archives are now in drop down menu, you can find articles about our rivals faster, and view hotter topics.

  • Better Integrate with Social Networking Sites - The "Share on FaceBook" feature wasn't working like it should have. Once I re-implement that feature, you will be able to distribute your favorite articles online much easier.

  • Improve Readability - I lost some readability features such as "peak-a-boo" posts in the last upgrade. I'm planning to bring those features back over the coming weeks, and it'll be easier to do now with the technical guts improved.

  • Accelerate Page Loads - It seems that the new blogger templates have faster page loads than the old template.

  • Improve Code Maintenance - None of you care about this, but I do.

  • Improve Advertising - I lost a advertising opportunity last week because I couldn't deliver some custom functionality in the old blog framework. I can provide that now. Daddy needs a new pair or shoes.
There are still a variety of issues that I want to clean up. Some are cosmetic, and others are technical. If you're seeing problems, drop me a note in the comments section.

I know that it doesn't look that much different, but it is on the backend. Long time readers (who share my geekitude) know that I went to the XML blogger template once before. I ditched it then because I couldn't do some custom things that I wanted. Those things are now possible.

Thanks for your patience over the weekend.

PWD

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks much better on treo. Thanks!

Watson said...

PWD,

I have a new ipod touch (exact same thing as iphone except no phone) and the site always looked fine to me or it looked the exact same as it did from my laptop. just rechecked it and it still looks the same.

not sure what you were referring to with the iphone being messed up but everything was good for me

Anonymous said...

It looks pretty plain now, and posts just roll right into the next one...

Unknown said...

I'm working on the plainness of it. As well as the posts rolling into each other issue.

blackertai said...

I do like the new banner, as well.

I'll never forget that game.

Obi's Sister said...

New guts, cool.

JasonC said...

There is a large empty rectangle on the right column with nothing in it. I don't know if this is a problem with your site or Safari which sux.

Unknown said...

JasonC -- I put the large empty rectangle over there to help define the space....assuming you're talking about the one below the Google Search Box.

If you're talking about another one, please let me know.

Anonymous said...

I dont know if this was intentional, but your left side link to Blutarksy's blog is missing. I noticed this because I'm too lazy to bookmark his page, so I usually just bounce over there from here.

Unknown said...

Blutarsky's blog is still there. I Just moved him up to 5 stars. Look up a bit.

 
Copyright 2009 Georgia Sports Blog. Powered by Blogger Blogger Templates create by Deluxe Templates. WP by Masterplan