Georgia Sports Blog FanShop

September 19, 2011

Thoughts on Marcus Lattimore

If Spurrier doesn't kill the kid from overuse, Marcus Lattimore will be in New York for the Heisman ceremony.  Lattimore already has 87 carries on the season and 96 total touches through three games.  He has 534 yards rushing and 7 TDs along with 66 yards receiving.  Last season, he finished with 1197 yards and 17 TDs rushing combined with a stunning 412 yards receiving and 2 TDs.

Granted it's obviously a small sample, but he's currently on pace to rush for about 2,300 yards and 30 TDs (not including the SEC title game in either stat).  Even though the pace will cool...he's the Return on Investment Player of the Year.

I'm trying to remember the last back with Lattimore's size and speed who caught the ball as effectively out of the backfield as well.  Any one have some thoughts?

Spurrier may have a lot of flaws, but he knows how to get his best player the ball.  Compare that to Mark Richt who waited til Boykin's fourth season to even try getting him the ball on offense, and we STILL haven't seen Branden Smith on offense again despite being the biggest homerun threat on the UGA sideline.

So much of coaching is player utilization. Remember the 2003 Auburn at UGA game when Cadillac Williams had about 3 carries in the first half as the Tigers were obliterated in Athens?  There's an object lesson in there somewhere with Hugh Nall's picture next to it.

I always point to the 1994 UGA at Alabama game as the shining example for player under utilization.  We had Hines Ward at RB, Robert Edwards at CB, and Terrell Davis was sitting on the bench.  If you don't put your assets to maximum use, you end up in the Fried Chicken or investment business.  I'm very curious to see how things continue to unfold here.  We've seen progress here, but why is it like pulling teeth to get Richt to implement some of the more obvious fixes?

PWD

7 comments:

Nick said...

You hit the nail on the head re: Richt's puzzling use of our players. It is well-known that he said he never should have red-shirted Moreno. Now he's making comments like, "I guess I should have gotten Boykin in there sooner." If Kiante Tripp can make an NFL roster as a DE after playing every position but punter, I think it's time for a reevaluation on how we use our players.

NRBQ said...

As I said elsewhere after the Navy game, Lattimore is a Freight-Liner with winged wheels.

He's at full speed after two steps, can only be tackled by his feet, and never seems to tire.

BTW, I think Smith had a pass reception (for minimal yards) against Coastal.

NRBQ said...

Looks like I'm wrong about the reception, but I'm pretty sure I read he had a pass thrown to him.

Anonymous said...

Branden Smith is battling an injury. That is why he hasn't been used on offense.

j.leonardjr said...

I get the point you're making but I think your used the wrong examples in Boykin and Smith. Smith has been hurt so we haven't risked him on offense this year.

I would list Kiante Tripp, Samuel, and supposed 5 Star DE prospect Branden Miller who we let stay at OLB where he was out of position before using Smith and Boykin.

j.leonardjr said...

I agree with your overall point but think you could have used better examples than Smith and Boykin. We have used Smith on offense and have only with held him from offense this year to let him heal his foot. As for Boykin, I think we needed him more on defense than offense the past few years.

I would have listed Kiante Tripp, Richard Samuel, and Branden Miller before Smith and Boykin. Hell, I never thought Samuel should have played RB to start with and we have completely wasted his potential at LB. I think he would have already been a starter at LB if he had started there to begin with as a freshman. Miller was supposedly a 5 Star DE prospect out of HS. Georgia let him have a chance at OLB because he wanted to play there. He should have been moved back DE as he was playing out of position at OLB in my opinion. Kiante Tripp...no explanation needed. I feel sorry for him as his college career was a complete waste for both him and the team.

Ubiquitous GA Alum said...

If Spurrier doesn't kill the kid from overuse

And that is why I was thrilled watching the 2nd half of the USCe - Navy game ... Feed the kid every play for all I care. That way he will be toast for their last 3 conferences games, which are 3 in a row - @UT, @AR & UF

 
Copyright 2009 Georgia Sports Blog. Powered by Blogger Blogger Templates create by Deluxe Templates. WP by Masterplan