Georgia Sports Blog FanShop

September 5, 2005

My Top 25 Ballot: How it has faired so far....

This was my preseason ballot for the Blog Poll. I was expecting some significant movement over the first two weeks. Especially among the 16-25 picks. And that expectation is definitely being fulfilled.

1. Southern Cal - Did as expected. Glanville as a defensive coordinator should be the punchline to a joke...not an actual fact in the Hawaii media guide.

2. Texas - After the OU debacle vs. TCU, this ranking looks much safer. However, what the OU game really means is that even more is riding on this OSU game for the Horns than ever before.

3. Iowa - I'm expecting a beatdown for Iowa State next week similar to what we got this week vs. Ball State.

4. Michigan - We shall learn a bunch about UM when they get the Irish at home next week.

5. Miami (florida) - tomorrow night.

6. Louisville - The first half was what I expected. They put 28 points on spunky, but error prone UK. I missed the 3rd quarter thinking it would be a blowout. In the 4th I come back and it's a 3 point game. UK had the ball on the UofL 1 yard line under 4 minutes when they fumbled. Kudos to Joker Phillips the new UK offensive coordinator, but giving up 24 points to UK's talent isn't a good sign for UofL's defense. I'll likely move them down a spot or two this week.

7. Oklahoma - What a debacle. Every talking head is labeling this a possible 4 loss team after the TCU loss. I'm still not willing to go that far. That said, Texas, TAMU and Texas Tech have got to be licking their chops. I'll be giving TCU a long look for the Top 25 on Tuesday.

8. LSU - Didn't play. Still had a rough week. My heart goes out to them.

9. Tennessee - After squeaking by UAB and showing that I may have been wrong about Ainge as a future star, this is a team that I'm glad I didn't have ranked in the Top 5.

10. UGA - I'll be moving UGA past Tennessee. That much I know. A ballot without UGA in the Top 10 doesn't make much sense to me right now.

11. VT - I only saw the 4th quarter so far. I still need to read the recap.

12. Ohio State - Defense performed better than expected defensively versus Miami (Ohio). Gets to play a game of "How Big a Boy are you?" On Sept. 10th vs. Tejas.

13. Auburn - I expected a win vs Tech in an ugly game. Instead I had to serve up a dish of "I was wrong, but not that wrong."

14. Purdue - idle

15. FSU - tonight

16. UF - Will someone PLEASE explain to me how Meyer beating unranked Wyoming 32-14 is bigger news than UGA destroying #18 ranked Boise State 48-13? ESPN College Game Night acted like the UGA game didn't even happen. CNN showed the Dawgs much more love. UF did what they had to do and did it nicely.

17. Boise State - Not ready for prime time players.

18. UVA - a solid debut vs. a bad MAC team.

19. Texas A&M - Coach Fran is one of my least favorite people in college football. It was very nice to see him blow the math vs. Clemson on the 2 point try. Up 23-22 after the TD, Coach Fran elects to go for 1. What does that get you? Instead of holding the rope, he should've been holding the calculator.

20. Boston College - they beat BYU. Yeah. I have never been comfortable with rating them this high. I doubt I'll move them much.

21. Oregon - Struggled in the first half with Houston before pulling away. Montana next week will give them another tune up before Fresno state and Southern Cal back to back. Fresno is a death trap midmajor game before a big home game with the 2 time defending national champs.

22. Arizona State - Did as expected and butchered Temple.

23. Texas Tech - idle

24. Pittsburgh - I have no idea why I ranked them pre-season. Honestly, this was a team that went to double overtime with Furman (Div 1-AA) last year and has a new coach that never amounted to anything in the pros. I would like to apologize for ranking them to start with.

25. Colorado - I took heat for this pick. But with a win over CSU, they are 1 step closer to legitimizing my pick.

Cal, Georgia Tech, Clemson, Notre Dame, Minnesota and TCU are the teams I'm looking at hardest for my ballot. Not in that order.

Games I watched this weekend (so far):
UGA vs. Boise - all
Auburn vs. Tech - all
SC vs. UCF - 75%+
Louisville vs. UK - 75%+
VT vs. NCSU - 25%+
Syracuse vs. WVU - 10%+
OU vs. TCU - 10%+
Wisconsin vs. BGSU - 10%+

And I'll likely watch FSU vs. Miami tomorrow.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The winner of Ohio State and Texas has a leg on on a Rose Bowl birth. With that said, Ohio State still has Michigan to close the season and a tough road game at night versus Penn State.

Texas still had the Red River Shootout and that's still a big game until Mack Brown can proves he can beat Oklahoma.

Either one of those teams could lose and still find themselves in the Rose Bowl. With that being said, I still think this is the year Mack Brown breaks through and wins a National Title in Austin. Anything less and the Longhorn faithfull are going to start talking about a coaching change.

djl said...

Well, to be fair, Pete Carroll never amounted to much of anything in the pros either.

But Pitt's long gone from my week two ballot...that's one thing I know for sure.

Anonymous said...

You watched in the neighborhood of ten games? I watched most or all of 30+ games this past weekend...Maybe I should be voting in your poll....

Unknown said...

I actually attended 2 games this weekend. UGA vs. Boise and another one.

It's tough to watch 20 games when you're attending them.

 
Copyright 2009 Georgia Sports Blog. Powered by Blogger Blogger Templates create by Deluxe Templates. WP by Masterplan