Georgia Sports Blog FanShop

November 10, 2005

This Weekend's Tailgate -- The Turducken

Oh. Hell. Yes.

Just got off the phone with Madam Tailgate Guru #1. Apparently, she and Mister Tailgate Guru #2 will begin smoking a Turducken on Friday night.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with the absurdity of the Turducken, I will tell you that it can best be explained and expressed via song and photos.

First, the Turducken Song.

As the song says, Turducken is a chicken in a duck in a turkey. It's the perfect thing to serve for the Auburn game. It isn't just a Chicken, Turkey or Duck. Just as Auburn isn't just a tiger, eagle, plainsman, jungle dweller, etc. The perfect mixed up meal for playing a mixed up opponent.

Second, the Turducken Web sites.

Third, the Photos:

Looks normal enough...until you slice it open.



Additional widescreen photo here.

Basically, we're serving a 26 pound turkey stuffed with cornbread dressing and a 7 pound duck which is stuffed with andouille sausage dressing and a 4 pound chicken which is also stuffed with cornbread dressing. The whole thing will start getting smoked on Friday night. The de-boning process has already begun.

The symbolism runs deeper than just a mixed up mascot and a mixed up entree. The Turducken is a Cajun creation. The Dawgs are playing Auburn for the right to play in the SEC Championship game. The winner of that game will then advance on to the Sugar Bowl. This year's Sugar Bowl will not be held in New Orleans. It will instead be held in Atlanta.

Therefore, we must over compensate for not going to NOLA for New Years with our own Cajun feast. What is my role in all of this? I'm heading to the liquor store to buy Pat O'Brien's Hurricane Mix.

I'm pretty fired up. I've never had Turducken, but it's been on the list of "To Eats" for quite some time.

GATT
(Get After That Turducken)


Totally unrelated....While I was searching for this info, I found a Saudi Arabian dish that is very similar in concept. It's a recipe for a Whole Stuffed Camel. All you need to prepare it is a whole camel, a whole lamb, 20 chickens and 110 gallons of water. Luckily, I'll never have to bust this recipe out unless we play the Riyadh Magic Carpet All-Stars.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

It'd take a MONSTER cooker to get a camel goin.

Unknown said...

My brother and I just talked about this.......I said..."Man, can you imagine the size of the pot you'd need to boil 110 gallons of water? They should really list that on the ingredients list."

He said..."I imagine that once you picked up the 'medium sized camel' from the store, you would immediately know...'I'm going to need a larger pot.' It sorts of goes without saying."

Touche. lol!

Anonymous said...

PWD,

That hurricane mix, can you pick it up at any liqour store?
And what is the main liqour added to the mix? 151?

Unknown said...

Pat O'Brien's Hurricane Mix can be found at Publix and many liquor stores, but not all. I hit 2 before I found it. It is also not stocked at Kroger.

It's in a power packet. Each packet makes about 1 quart of mix. You can either make the mix and then add booze one glass at a time (crazy talk) or you can add the booze and the mix all at once and serve from a massive cooler.

You mix with a good Dark Rum and garnish with orange and cherries. Although, I've seen recipes for mixing with a good dark and a white rum.

I'm no hurricane expert. I'm just bringing the ingredients and letting the dude from Baton Rouge mix it.

Nathan said...

--
I'm no hurricane expert. I'm just bringing the ingredients and letting the dude from Baton Rouge mix it. --


Isn't that how everyone does Hurricanes?

Unknown said...

i would assume so.

#1 Reason people outsource:
"To gain access to expertise."

Mixing hurricanes is not my core business. Drinking hurricanes on the other hand....I'm quite skilled in that area.

Unknown said...

CJ - shoot me an email. My email address is available on my profile (upper right hand corner of the page where it says Paul Westerdawg).

 
Copyright 2009 Georgia Sports Blog. Powered by Blogger Blogger Templates create by Deluxe Templates. WP by Masterplan