by the Georgia Sports Blog.
About 6 years ago, I was arrested for driving with a suspended license. The suspended license charge stemmed from an unpaid ticket. I forgot about the ticket, and then I moved to a new apartment. In the process, the State of Georgia mailed me a notice of intent to suspend my license....to my old mailing address.
Exactly 23 hours after my license was suspended, I was pulled over for an illegal U-Turn. The officer uttered the infamous six words that all people fear, "Please step out of the vehicle." I was in my early 30s when that happened. A successful, well paid guy was arrested for what amounts to being a dipshit.
I say all of that to say the following:
1. I feel your pain Marquis Elmore, Greg Blue, Darrius Swain, Reggie Brown, etc. I know what it's like to be locked in the cage. It hardens a man.
2. It can happen to anyone. Rich, poor, smart, wealthy, famous, UGA athlete, nerd, whatever. But that doesn't make you any less of a dipshit for letting it happen to you. It is 1,000% your fault, and it will make news.
3. Guys, please, please, please for the love of all that is decent and holy. Get your damn paperwork sorted out. It took me 3 full working days and almost $1,000 to get my act together after I got pinched. If I had just paid the ticket to start with, it would've cost me $60. Tops.
4. You will get busted. If you were dumb enough to get the first citation, you're dumb enough to get another one. Just get it done. I speak from experience. Just deal with it now.
By the time all is said and done, we invest over $100,000 per football player per year in the coaching, training, feeding, educating and housing of our athletes. As much as it would apparently make sense to have someone on staff who works as a DMV Liaison for the football team, I'm positive that the state government, University administration and the Athletic Department will never go for it. Just go get the fine paid or you will get arrested. And the whole world will call you a dipshit.
Anyway, here are some links of interest to the football players who lurk here:
- Department of Motor Vehicles: Safety
Department of Drivers License Services
Department of Motor Vehicles: Revenue
Clarke County Sheriff Office
Clarke County Jail Report
(Note: I was only in there for 2 hours and I guarded my corn hole with my life from the 300 lb sweaty mexican dude in the corner who was mostly asleep, but you get the idea)
Marquis Elmore...you are now a dipshit.