Georgia Sports Blog FanShop

March 13, 2006

Westerdawg Bracketology?

This time of year, I feel like a homeless kid standing outside of a nice restaurant watching the patrons dine on $50 steaks. My team isn't going dancing so I'm left to watch vicariously as others enjoy their One Shining Moment. This must be how South Carolina fans usually feel during bowl season.



My early thoughts on the brackets:
- Oakland is the weakest region at the 1-3 slots. There are lots of very good teams, but no team that I can look at and say "Oh, yeah, they are a lock for the Final Four."

- I love Arkansas in the Oakland region. When Arkansas was in the Southwest Conference, they regularly held the SWC tourney in Dallas' Reunion Arena. Between the Cotton Bowl and the SWC Tourney, the Razorbacks are legendary in Big D. They will outnumber Memphis fans 3 to 1, and few teams are as hot as the Hogs right now.

- Anyone that knows me knows that I'm a Mike Davis fan. I can't help but pull for the Hoosiers. Gonzaga hasn't made tourney noise the past few years despite the hype of their early successes. I like the Hoosiers as one of the true dark horses of the tourney.

- UAB vs. UK proves that the tourney committee doesn't lack a sense of humor, and it proves that the NCAA's lovefest with the 'Cats isn't as strong as I once imagined. I like UAB in this one as Rondo and the imploding UK Circus finally wrap up the season.

- Villanova should pray that Wisconsin loses to Arizona. No one wants to play that mind numbing Wisconsin scheme with 1 day to prepare.

- Most vulnerable teams of the 5 seeds: Nevada (Georgia played them too close for me to take them serious)

First weekend games I most want to see:
- Syracuse vs. LSU
- Arkansas vs. Memphis
- Indiana vs. Gonzaga
- UAB vs. UK
- UF vs. Oklahoma
- Gtown vs. Ohio State

More thoughts later. Including my Final Four.

(BTW -- It's rare that I finish outside of the Top 5 in the office pool. No matter the size. So you're talking to quite the savant here.)


The downside to UK losing early. Fewer Ashley Judd shots.

pwd

3 comments:

Astronaut Mike Dexter said...

I, for one, will be happy to comfort Mrs. Judd after the Wildcats get a second straight tournament ass-whacking from UAB. GO BLAZERS!

Ludakit said...

I need to get your thoughts on Mike Davis. Aside from being a class act, all he means to me is the guy that took Bobby Knight's team to the Championship Game a few years ago. Of course, aside from Georgia, I don't follow the hoops that closely so there's my trump card.

And I just played it. Discuss.

Anonymous said...

The UAB-Kentucky game should be one of the best matchups of the first round. Kentucky will have the revenge factor, UAB will have the defiant mid-major factor.

Screw the 'Cats, GO BLAZERS!

 
Copyright 2009 Georgia Sports Blog. Powered by Blogger Blogger Templates create by Deluxe Templates. WP by Masterplan