At ACC Media days it was revealed that Calvin Johnson was named to two pre-season award lists. 76% of the voters named Johnson as pre-season player of the year, and 85% of voters named him Excuse Maker of the Year.
Johnson, the only 9 star recruit in Chan Gailey's tenure at Tech, recently told SI.com
When asked who has been his toughest defender thus far, Johnson replies, “Me.” No one else comes close? “Nah,” he says with a chuckle. So is there any defender who can stop you, Calvin? He ponders for a second before responding, “Maybe if you told the guy I was running a go-route, and he stood about 40 yards downfield, then maybe he could stop me.”That's absolutely correct. No one can stop Calvin Johnson...well except for:
- Demario Minter - 2 catches for 14 yards against UGA last year
- Eric Weddle - Utah CB who held CJ to 2 catches for 19 yards
- GT's Equipment Manager - Who forgot to bring the right cleats to the Emerald Bowl. "Man, it was a nightmare. The field was in terrible condition. We brought the wrong cleats. I couldn’t run a route without slipping," said Johnson.
- Chan Gailey - who told the AJC "Regardless of how stupid people think I am, I do realize he's one of the best players in the nation and we should be getting him the ball," Gailey said.
- Reggie Ball - who has a career completion percentage below 50%.
- And the tooth fairy
I think my favorite on that list is the equipment manager excuse. For a school so proud of its educational excellence, they certainly struggle with the basics. Like counting to four, or remembering to wear shoes.
Johnson is a big time talent, but give me a break on the weak smack. If you put the kid in a competent offense, with a decent QB he would put up ridiculous stats. But he had neither of those things. Nor the right shoes.
ht - dawgrun.com