Georgia Sports Blog FanShop

December 27, 2006

Georgia Sports Blog at the Movies: We are Marshall


Matthew McConaughey gives a pep talk in "We are Marshall"

I saw We Are Marshall tonight. In a word.....Excellence. This isn't a cheesy sports movie. It's a well written, well produced story of human triumph. As you probably already know, the movie tells the story of how Marshall University, The City of Huntington and the football team rebuilt from the ashes of the Nov. 1970 plane crash that killed 75 people.

On board the plane were all but 4 varsity football players, all but one coach and many of the school and town's most prominent citizens/boosters. I had concerns about Matthew McConaughey being the lead character, but he does a solid job.

My advice. Take a box of tissue you with you. The "paint fumes factor" in this one is off the charts. A real tear jerker / feel good story. It gets the Georgia Sports Blog's full endorsement. The movie trailer (2:30 minutes) and other links of interest are below.

Links of interest:PWD

5 comments:

C. Paul said...

Thanks for the review. I'm going to try to see it this weekend.

I highly recommend the Chicago Sun Times article you linked in the post - it is a devastatingly poignant and accurate portrayal of what the families that were left behind went through then - and are going through now.

Anonymous said...

Just curious. Does the movie portray the university accepting convicted felons to the football team to rebuild their numbers? Does it go into detail how the fans in Huntington rushed the field and attacked a Miami of Ohio assistant coach? Does it mention anything about the academic standards that make Auburn look like Columbia? Or how the school almost lost its accredidation as a university in the 1980's?

I thought not. I won't be seeing it.

Anonymous said...

The movie is absolutely brilliant. Like most people, I knew the story, but didn't "know the story." I'll probably see it again.

Anonymous said...

Although I haven't seen the movie yet, everything I thought about it before has been confirmed. I really think it will do well (although I did see a report about it tanking a little its first week) as one of those movies that builds it gate after the first week from word of mouth.

And as for you, Mr. Rhinocerous, your casually tossed accusations have nothing to do with the point of why the movie is good. I also think they are overstated, but hey, it's your loss.

JasonC said...

To rhino... I think that will be covered in the sequel: "We is Marshall"

 
Copyright 2009 Georgia Sports Blog. Powered by Blogger Blogger Templates create by Deluxe Templates. WP by Masterplan