Pitt wins national title at our expense (Image: SI)
On Tuesday, Chip Towers reported that the Bulldogs are looking for another "major" opponent for the 2011 and 2012 seasons. That's very interesting in light of the fact that we already have Louisville booked home and home for those two years.
So you might be asking yourself, why 2011 and 2012 to play three teams from power conferences (GT, Lville and the team to be named later).
If the SEC West Rotation doesn't change, we get two of the West's historically weaker teams in 2010, 2011, 2015 and 2016 (some combo of Ark, Ole Miss and MSU). In 2008, 2013 and 2018, we get LSU and Alabama in the same years. The other years -- like 2012 -- we get one tough SEC team and one weaker team.
In those weaker SEC West years, the home schedule needs a bit of glamor. So I imagine we're looking to add another "Ben Hur" game (to quote Donnan) for two reasons:
1. History suggests that Louisville will no longer be a Top 10-15 program in 2011. Petrino is the only coach to achieve greatness, and he's gone. Thus, that series may lack the gusto we might have originally hoped.
2. In 2011, our home schedule marquee games will be SC, AU and Louisville. In 2012, our marquee games are UT and GT. Damon & Co. probably want another high quality opponent at home that year.
So who do we book?
My guess is that we're looking for:
- 1. A name team
2. Who probably wants a home game in 2011 and a road game in 2012
3. Ain't skeered of us. And we ain't skeered of them.
4. Has an opening on the same two weeks that we have openings in those years (which ain't many folks)
5. A team that hasn't already booked one or two quality non-conference games that year
A quick review of NationalChamps.net's future schedules (which isn't exactly update to date, but it's closer than most sites), shows many are booked. (Unofficial)
Possibly have openings. Although who knows if the dates match or whatever:
- Boston College
Pitt - Clemson just canceled a series with them, and we owe them.
Michigan - no SEC road games since 1922. And the away years are probably wrong.
Of the rest of the list that seems quasi-possible...I'd want 1. Texas 2. Southern Cal 3. Texas A*M. We all know who Kyle King wants. ;)