Boise State Fan
As I pointed out earlier today, ESPN has been releasing its Top 119 Programs from the past 10 years (1997-2006). Boise State came in at #16. In my opinion, that's bafflingly high.
Fifteen of ESPN's college football "experts" and analysts ranked all 119 Division I-A programs, apparently taking into account:
- Record - Boise won 97 games from '97-'06. That's tied with Ohio State for second most overall wins during that period. However, 94 of those wins came against teams that BCS conference members get criticized for playing! BSU is 3-12 (by my count) against BCS conference schools, and only one of those wins came on green turf. Yes, they posted a ton of wins, but against a gigantic pile of directional colleges, fictitious states and hyphenated schools.
- Traditions - Other than blue turf, what are Boise's traditions of merit? Anyone?
- Recruiting - They have never had a Top 25 recruiting class. If ESPN is going to list recruiting as a factor in the rankings, there's no way that Boise scores well.
- Facilities - Their stadium seats 30k.
- Coaches - I'll give them points here as they've been a great farm league program for giving other schools solid leaders. Granted none of their former coaches has ever won a BCS game or conference title upon leaving Boise. But they aren't "bad" coaches.
- Attendance and support - They don't sellout all their games in glorified high school stadium.
- Other criteria -I'll give them style points for winning a great game against OU, but good grief. Enough points to make them #16 in the rankings?
Even more shocking...Ivan Maisel was on the ESPNU College Football Podcast last week. During the show he said that (paraphrase): "We have Boise State at #16, and that's probably a little low."
I wouldn't have Boise in the Top 25.