Georgia Sports Blog FanShop

September 21, 2007

Bama Bangs, The Hush, and Bourbon Throws

As an exiled member of Bulldog Nation, it is always a big deal when I get to travel to an away game. Because of my current location, the easiest games to get to are those where the Dawgs travel west to play an SEC West opponent. This means I've been to every SEC West venue and have picked up a few things along the way. I'm heading to Tuscaloosa this weekend and wanted to give those of you who maybe going there for the first time a heads up about a few things.

1) Bama Bangs - As detailed by Clay Travis, there is only one hairstyle for Alabama males under thirty. It's Bama Bangs, here demonstrated by John Parker Wilson:
When I was in high school, I admit that I wore the Bama Bangs. At some point though, the hair begins to either annoy the wearer's forehead or it causes insurmountable neck problems from the constant head swinging/flipping used by Bama Bangers to adjust their hair without touching it. UGA frat boys have a version of Bama Bangs they often wear, but UGA Bangs are usually cut before they completely cover the wearer's eyebrows. This weekend, when someone yells at you about your red pants, tell them their bangs are bangin'. It is highly probable that they are head flipping at that very moment.

2) If you have tickets in the Georgia section, be glad. It would seem that one of the traditions of the Alabama student section is throwing their bourbon drink when the Tide scores. A crucial touchdown elicits a shower of amber liquid and plastic cups. Is it that easy to get large quantities of alcohol in the stadium?

3) I've attended a number of Alabama games in Tuscaloosa and I'm constantly amazed at the lack of emotion when the crowd leaves a game. You really can't tell if they won or lost by looking at the fans walking down those long, circular ramps. An Alabama friend of mine called it "The Hush." To me it sounds like some sort of fan purgatory, constantly expecting victory so that when it arrives it is not a cause for joy, so that the only surprise is defeat. I suppose the expectation of eternal glory is every Bama fan's notional birthright, but from the outside it seems a bit sad that they can't really enjoy an unexpected win. Let's hope they don't get a chance to prove me wrong after Saturday's game.

There are a few serious things you need to see in Tuscaloosa:
  1. The Bear Museum - A holy shrine to all things right and good about the Crimson Tide.
  2. Denny Chimes - It's the trademark building of Alabama's campus. To give you an idea of where the priorities in Bama are, the sidewalks below the Chimes have the hand and cleat prints of all of Alabama's football captains.
  3. The north entrance to Bryant-Denny Stadium - This is the new addition to the stadium and it is palatial. The area outside the addition is an homage to former coaches who brought glory on the Tide, including the Bear (he's a big deal there). Bama does their rendition of the Dawg Walk here called the "Walk of Champions" (That name isn't so special because Ole Miss has a Walk of Champions too).
For those of you headed to the game, have a safe trip and Go Dawgs!

Quinton

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

The EDSBS guys have another name for the required 'do, the "QB bob" or something like that.

Anonymous said...

Read somewhere it's also known as a Tellum. The opposite of a mullet, it's all "party in the front."

Anonymous said...

I'm a UGA alum stuck in Tuscaloosa and everything you said is dead on! Especially the Bama Bangs ~ they are so ridiculous! My husband and I call it the "Two A Days" cut (in reference to the MTV show about the Hoover football team).

Have fun!

Anonymous said...

A friend of mine in Birmingham calls the QB John Parker Wilson Bowles Esq. Says his name reminds her of Camilla Parker Bowles. So I think tomorrow I will call JPW "Camilla".

Anonymous said...

Don't forget the original Dreamland. It's one of the few spots that lives up to its billing.

Some other good places to get some grub are Archibald's (BBQ), the Cypress Inn (sort of a more upscale Charlie Williams, but without the kickass buffet), Rama Jama's (diner 30yds from Bryant Denny), and T's Ribs n' Things (not famous, but I like it).

Will said...

I'm attempting to trace the roots of the 'Bama bangs. I'm pretty sure every white QB has sported it dating back at least to Tyler Watts.

Ludakit said...

Kinda related to this post, but kind of not. I went to the worldwide leader and saw the sports editor for the Red and Black face off against his Bama counterpart.

Link: http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/preview?gameId=272650333

It almost hurts my heart to see a Dawg who supposedly knows football inside and out get dismantled on national TV. Poor kid was so nervous that he died and slow and painful TV interview death.

Can't say I'd do a ton better, but I thought I'd pass it along for those who hadn't seen it.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I must agree, I'm a UGA alum living in B-ham, and everywhere I go I see those damn "bama bangs". I think that's why people in Alabama can't drive- their bangs are too long.

Oh yeah, and in case you hadn't heard, according to people here Saban has already led his team to an undefeated season, won the national title, brought "the Bear" back from the dead, and cured cancer.

God I hate living in Alabama.

Anonymous said...

Perhaps that's why Alabama QB's throw so many interceptions.

Paste together the following URL to see the bama bangs that started it all.

http://www.utvols.com/blog/
uploaded_images/
NSAPNL32L_large-789412.jpg

Anonymous said...

I was looking at a preseason magazine and noticed that John Parker Wilson shaves his whole body. I cannot find a picture to verify if he still does this but the whole page photo I saw in Athlons I could not see one hair on his arm or leg. I guess that shows what kind of guy he is. Please make a post about this and confirm or not.

 
Copyright 2009 Georgia Sports Blog. Powered by Blogger Blogger Templates create by Deluxe Templates. WP by Masterplan