Georgia Sports Blog FanShop

March 30, 2008

Gym Dogs Win SEC Championship


Official Gym Dog SEC Championship T-Shirts

Suzanne Yoculan's Gym Dogs won yet another SEC Championship on Saturday at the Gwinnett arena. The most intense drama of the night wasn't associated with the beam, floor exercises or vault. No, it was the scoring that left everyone leaning forward in their seats.

In a scene similar to the 2000 Presidential Elections, the hanging chads were sorted out and the Gym Dogs prevailed over Alabama. This was Yoculan's 16th SEC Title at UGA. She has more SEC Championships than all other conference members combined.

I've always found Yoculan entertaining and a great quote. I particularly enjoy her rivalry with Sarah Patterson at Alabama. I'm sure she got an extra kick out of beating the Tide in such a controversial manner. I quote this all the time, but SY's best work came on the Finebaum show in 2006 when asked about the Bama coach:
"I don't believe in failure. I'd rather go out on a limb now and have it break once and a while than to never go out there. That's just my approach. It's offensive to some people, but it wins for Georgia. So I recruit athletes who can embrace going for it.

I don't use nouns when I can use verbs. I don't call my team "underachievers." I say that they are "underachieving." I don't call Sarah Patterson a "loser," I said "don't gripe about losing." I don't hate anything but cauliflower and turnips."
For more articles on the Gym Dogs and Suzanne's rivalry with Patterson:PWD

0 comments:

 
Copyright 2009 Georgia Sports Blog. Powered by Blogger Blogger Templates create by Deluxe Templates. WP by Masterplan