Georgia Sports Blog FanShop

May 27, 2008

SEC TV Contracts top Discussion in Destin

The SEC athletic directors and high profile coaches are in Destin for their annual meetings this week. One of the top items for discussion is the ongoing negotiations between the SEC and its TV Partners (CBS, ESPN, ESPN2, LF Sports/Raycom, Fox Sports South, etc.)

Among the more interesting issues would be the formation of an SEC TV network similar to the Big 10 Network. This will be an interesting topic to watch over the coming days.

Personally, I think we should ditch RayCom and have MTV broadcast the 12:30 pm games with Rob and Big as the play by play crew. The coverage couldn't get any worse as MTV has to own working cameras from the 21st century, and the commentary comedy would go way up vs. what the Daves currently give us.

Do work.

See Also:
-- Future TV Contracts top discussion items - AL.com
-- Will SEC get into TV business - Knoxville News
-- The SEC should be tough - Get the Picture
-- Slive hopes to work with NBA on rules - Shreveport Times

PWD

9 comments:

Hobnail_Boot said...

ABF.. Anyone But Fox

Anonymous said...

I pray for SECTV.

Anonymous said...

I'll second getting rid of Raycom. I have worked in radio and television engineering for the past 20 years and I'm amazed at how bad the Raycom broadcasts are. I think they are using 20 year old cameras with two guys producing the show out of a refurbished bread truck or something. I loath watching the Dawgs on a Raycom broadcast after seeing them in glorious high definition on CBS and ESPN.

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with kydawg on this one. I spent a few years in broadcasting and Raycom still looks like a throwback to the 80's...the EARLY 80's.

There will be SEC-TV. There's too much money to be made.

Anonymous said...

We all know it is inevitable. Fox will buy the rights.

It might be worth an assassination to stop it from occuring...ok, that might be going a little too far.










maybe.

Anonymous said...

I know I'm in the minority here, but I could take or leave SEC-TV. Does anyone really care about schools in Mississippi or Arkansas? I think that a network independent of conferences, focused on a smaller area, and anchored in Atlanta would have a much better chance of success (or at least success in drawing my eyeballs).

If the single-state model of Sun won't work, pull in the Carolinas, Alabama, and Tennessee. I was hoping that the new SportsSouth would evolve this way, but they seem content with Atlanta pro sports.

The upside is that you're not obligated to show all of the extra conference sports. I'm sure there are some Big 10 fans tuning in for wrestling, but not many are.

I suppose it's an inevitability if there is money in it, but I'd just assume the conference stay out of the production business.

Unknown said...

Groo,

i'm in the "devil is in the details" camp. Who gets it? How much does it cost per month? What does it actually show? Is the quality high?

It currently doesn't impact me for football because I hit all the games in person.

But it will soon.

Anonymous said...

Some good news from Raycom. This was in the Banner Herald today ... buried at the bottom ...

http://www.onlineathens.com/stories/052808/football_20080528064.shtml


All SEC football games and most basketball games on Raycom will be available on HD, according to Jimmy Rayburn, Raycom's vice president of operations.

So at least the broadcast will be visually better ...

Anonymous said...

Ga alum, that's great. However the affiliate must have the equipment to receive the HD broadcast. Most of these stations are doing good to broadcast network programming in HD much less something from the outside like Raycom.
I don't look for my Louisville Raycom affiliate to broadcast the games in HD because they can't receive them and won't spend the money to.

 
Copyright 2009 Georgia Sports Blog. Powered by Blogger Blogger Templates create by Deluxe Templates. WP by Masterplan