Georgia Sports Blog FanShop

June 19, 2008

Long Lost Redcoat Band Theme Update

I unleash my inner high school band nerd when I tell you this is pretty cool. A few weeks ago the Athens Banner Herald wrote an exceptional article about a former Redcoat Band member named Lloyd Winstead who found an ultra rare copy of the sheet music to the original, long lost Georgia Band theme...circa 1908.

(Image: David Manning / Athens Banner-Herald)

The song is titled "The Red and Black March." The ABH article details the history of the rare find, and mentions that it's likely that no living person has ever heard the song.

Well Martha Thomas has changed that. You can now hear it played on piano via the UGA Office of Public Affairs web site. This is an incredible find by ToonDawg.

After hearing it a few times, I can imagine the tune with a more modern, shorter arrangement and tons of brass. On the piano in its original arrangement, it's obviously a dated piece from the turn of the century. But it could really be something if it were modernized by the Redcoats.

Regardless of the song's future, I give tremendous credit to the Office of Public Affairs (UGA Broadcast / Video / Photography) and Ms. Thomas for putting this together so quickly and making it available to us. I'm sure it was a thrill for her to play it.

PWD

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you play it, I will dance to it and make it the most popular song in the state of Georgia.

Andrew said...

I hope the Redcoat Band plays it this season...

Anonymous said...

It sounds pretty catchy. It'd be a good song for the band to play inbetween possessions.

As it has been said earlier, Knowshon Rockwell Moreno can add in a nice jig, and it will be a hit.

Anonymous said...

Now close your eyes and imagine this as the background to some Three Amigos type of silent film. Complete with mustache-twirling bad guy tying a damsel to the tracks.

DAve said...

If nothing else, a modernized arrangement should suffice as a replacement for "Soulja Boy Tell 'Em".

I'm going to start working on the dance to accompany this immediately.

Anonymous said...

I'm almost expecting "I'm in love with my Car" by Queen to break out after hearing this. Good stuff.

Unknown said...

To me it sounds like it's got notes from the hymn "The Doxology" in it.

College Football Guys said...

Which school has the best looking women? Vote now.

www.thecollegefootballguys.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

i'm sure we'll look into it. i'd be interested in a good arrangement of it so that it doesn't just sound like a generic early 20th century march. might be just something that comes together at homecoming, but i don't know. certainly a good arrangement would be fun for everyone - though i wonder how many people in the stands would even know what it was if we played it.

Unknown said...

I really do hope Redcoats looks into getting an arrangement put together, it would be awesome to play in the future (i made Redcoats for the '08 season, but can't march b/c I was only admitted for Spring semester) Crazy admissions this year!

Anonymous said...

Now all we've got to do is come up with dirty/anti-Tech lyrics for it!!

Unknown said...

I think this has the potential to be modernized to work well with the Redcoats. It's got a good melodic line. LOL@dirty/anti Tech lyrics! Good idea!

Ludakit said...

You played trumpet didn't you?

Anonymous said...

What would be nice is if this overtook that damn "Budweiser Song" that Tech plays and somehow made it onto Turner Field's playlist. I think it's amusing to see how FEW people stand up to "say it all" at the Braves games.

Anonymous said...

Wow. I hope y'all are right about the tune's potential, but I just don't hear it. It sounds like circus music to me. There's probably a reason it was abandoned in 1908: 'Glory' and 'Hail to Georgia' are far superior.

Obi's Sister said...

Yeah, can't wait to hear the TW Wailing Brass arrangement of that. BTW, I wrote about it before DawgToon did. 15 days, in fact.

Go Dawgs!

Anonymous said...

2nd Anon...

Man that was from left field!

Now I'm going to go find my old "Night At The Opera" album.

 
Copyright 2009 Georgia Sports Blog. Powered by Blogger Blogger Templates create by Deluxe Templates. WP by Masterplan