- Boys will be boys stuff: Sometimes college kids do dumb and mostly harmless things. As long as no one else is badly hurt, I can live with some of that. If you have 100 boys on campus for a year a few of them will do something mischievous and dumb. It's virtually unavoidable. Regardless, this category of "offense" doesn't make me uncomfortable as a fan/alumni as long as we're punishing appropriate.
- Crimes of Paperwork or Nuisance: If a player forgets to pay a parking ticket and gets his license suspended, that doesn't bother me. Nor does jaywalking, ScooterGate, or loud music. We probably punish more severely and more publicly than anyone else in this regard.
- Crimes of Technicality: If you have a souvenir knife in your dorm room or a legally purchased fire arm 6 inches from being stored properly in your vehicle per a law that's coming off the books in 30 days, those are crimes of technicality. We probably over punish for these. These things don't freak me out.
- Legit DUIs: If you blow over .08, you're drinking and driving. This pisses me off. There's no reason to get a DUI in Athens. Cab rides are too cheap, house parties are too common, and walking is too feasible for a student to get a DUI. Multiple DUIs should get your drunk ass booted. We punish severely for this, and I'm glad.
- Drugs: I have never used drugs in my life, and I have very little empathy towards people who create trouble for themselves in this regard. Historically, Richt has been great about punishment in this area. As a fan...this worries me when I see it.
- Violence Against Students / Others: I have virtually no tolerance whatsoever for this as a fan or alumni. Our society has laws that protect the strong from preying on the weak. Small time "boys will be boys" bar fights aside, this makes me VERY nervous because it is thugish.
- Violence Against Women: I have zero tolerance for this. Basically, I have very little tolerance for disrespecting women in general. It's too common in our society.
- Lemon -- I'm extremely uncomfortable with the Michael Lemon situation in all regards. I seriously doubt that a player with no prior track record of violence (that I'm aware of) just walked over and started beating the shit out of a guy unprovoked, but right now Lemon's story seems pretty weak. He was suspended indefinitely by Richt today, and I think that's appropriate.
If Lemon is guilty of doing what has been described publicly, then I hope he gets booted. I don't give a damn how bad his upbringing was. The other kid is a UGA student. Parents send their kids to college expecting that big, strong athletes who are attending the university for free won't beat the shit out of their kids. It's a reasonable expectation. Regardless of "his side," Lemon is currently in deep crap.
My personal advice to the universe...if you can't go heels with a 6'4" 265 pound can of whoop ass that says "don't talk to my girl," you should probably not talk to his girl. That doesn't mean Lemon was right for stomping his ass. I'm just saying.
- Sturdivant / Anderson - How stupid do you have to be to touch a pregnant woman's belly? That said, I feel like this entire thing has been blown way out of proportion by all the parties involved.
I expect this entire thing to go away once cooler heads or wallets prevail (Note: I found it interesting that the young lady wanted her name published in the AJC. Why didn't she just list a bank account while she was at it.). They are both idiots for getting themselves into a mess like this to begin with. I wouldn't touch my own wife's belly without permission. Assuming I was married.
- Boling -- He was pinched on DUI charges. He got a 2 game suspension according to Richt. Good. He needs to get his head on straight because the next boozy offense will snag him a 6 or 7 game suspension. No UGA player has turned his career back around after a second DUI in the Richt era.
- Lomax -- He was exonerated by the police according to Richt. It was an absurd case to begin with. It sounded much worse than it was.