If you were wondering what Georgia was going to do with the incremental $10 million or so per year in new SEC TV Revenue and the $20 million or so per year "surplus" that the athletic department has been pulling the last few years...here's your answer. (Image: one of several options for expanding Sanford Stadium. Click to enlarge.)
The Athletic Department debuted its new master plan for facilities which should guide the design, construction and later prioritization of facility enhancements for the next 10-15 years.
The plan is currently conceptual. It shows where new or renovated buildings would be located, and to what extent the facilities would change. UGA has not announced costs or stated which items would be prioritized first. This is the first step in a bigger journey.
Included in the plan:
- Football - Indoor Practice Facility at South Milledge Complex
- Football - Expansion of Sanford Stadium to 100,000+
- Football - Reed Alley Renovation
- Basketball - Overhaul to Stegeman's Facade, Concessions and Restrooms
- Administration/Football - Butts-Mehre renovation (previously announced)
- Baseball - New Baseball Stadium on current Foley Field Site
- Track - New Track facility at South Milledge Complex
- Soccer/Softball - Enhancements to the existing South Milledge Facilities
- Green space - New pedestrian walk ways surrounding existing facilities
- And much, much more
It's too much to get into everything all at once. So I'll point you to two key PDF files on the Athens Banner Herald's Web Site. This is a 21 page overview of most facility enhancements. The second PDF looks specifically at the Butts-Mehre renovation.
My quick thoughts:
- Indoor Practice Facility - The location and size of the facility suggest that it would not be the "Death Star" $35 million homage to football that had originally been discussed. It looks more functional than monumental. As a guy vehemently opposed to constructing an IPF, I could live with a modest facility. Although, I still think it's pissing away money. (Image: South Milledge Complex. The indoor practice facility is in the upper right corner. Click to enlarge)
- Stegeman - It's exactly what Stegeman needs. Stegeman doesn't need to be enlarged. It needs to be modernized with 21st century restrooms, concessions and concourses, and it needs a look and feel similar to the new Practice Facility. This would get us there. (click to enlarge)
- Sanford Expansions - The Reed Alley renovations look excellent. I actually think they were in the plans from 2003 or so, but they somehow got cut. Check out the PDF to see it. However, I think expanding the 600 level all the way around will be incredibly expensive, and I think those seats will SUCK. Luckily, I'm not going to sit in them...so what do I care.