Georgia Sports Blog FanShop

September 1, 2009

It feels like the pressure is all on them....



The AJC writes another in a series of articles from around the country about the OMG BIGGEST GAME IN STILLWATER EVAH!1!1!!!1! (Update - the ABH has one too)

Leaving aside the total sadness associated with the #13 team coming to your house and that being the biggest game ever (or at least biggest home opener), I'm still left struck that ALL the pressure is on the Cowboys. Maybe the players don't feel it, but you can bet your last windmill or oil well that $286 million of T. Boone's money comes with certain expectations and Coach Gundy feels it. Sleeping on top of a pile of money is fun. Sleeping underneath it; not so much.

As long as we're healthy and don't go turnover crazy, I *really* like our chances in this game. But I digress....here are some headlines from the Cowboy Village (it's not a "nation" yet).
  • Learning to Finish - the Cowboys were 1-4 against ranked teams last year. I'm pretty sure that they are 1-All the Rest vs. Ranked teams in the four years Gundy has been there. Many of the big games complete with epic fail collapses. Even if Georgia gets down in the 4th quarter, the pressure will still be on OSU to stop the nearly inevitable comeback.

  • Starting TE Leaves the Team - The Cowboys look unlikely to suspend their starting CB who was arrested on a suspended license charge, and I can't blame them for that. I don't think we suspend kids for getting pinched on glorified DMV charges (as long as they are sober at the time). But the TE (Moseley) is a different story. He's out. Last year, Pettigrew was an enormous part of Cowboy attack at TE, and he's gone. Georgia has had mixed success chasing down athletic TEs like Moseley so I'm not disappointed to avoid him. Who will be Robinson's pressure release valve now?

See Also:
PWD

13 comments:

RC said...

Yeah, I just can't imagine a scenario where their guys aren't jacked out of the stadium over this game. Emotional maintenance/containment should be as much of a focus for their coaches as any other aspect of the gameplan. Like you, PWD, and I promise I'm not just being the myopic homer here, I really like our chances this weekend.

Anonymous said...

After we leave Stillwater with a "V", the excuses are gonna start rolling in, don't 'cha know. Not so much from the OSU fans, but from the national media.

Ball-U-Dawg Triangle said...

Someone please convice me that our DBs are going to be able to handle the OSU receivers, and that our DEs are going to able to get pressure against an All American tackle, and that we will be able to contain a running QB for seemingly the first time, and that our defensive staff will be able to make adjustments when OSU's offense makes adjustments.

DWH said...

Damn Ball-U-Dawg, way to take the wind out of my sails. I too like our chances this weekend, but after that kick-in-the-balls response, I'm not so sure now.

Paul said...

OK, the T. Boone seats 65000? They've sold 42000 season tickets (the only way to get the Georgia game) and we sold out our 5000. Now, I was no math major, but isn't 47000 less than 65000? Will there really be 18000 empty seats?

That seems to be the story right there...

Brad said...

haha Jenni Carlson, or as she is more commonly known as "The Person That Wrote This Article." She obviously doesn't have a child. On the topic of the actual game, I have no clue how we will look. There are so many "new" players that have experience I don't think anyone really knows to expect.

Anonymous said...

I'm not a betting man myself, though I have friends who are. Apparently the smart money is all flowing towards UGA. Though most of the betting public is taking OSU in this one, the line keeps moving down. Not only that, but the money line has moved from roughly 250 to 175 or so, which should tell you quite a bit. Normally lines move in order to get 50/50 betting on each side. But when you see the line move away from the betting public (i.e. more taking OSU while the line moves the other way), that should tell you a ton.

Basically, Vegas is quite confident in a UGA win, as is the so-called smart money.

HiAltDawg said...

Ball U,

this osu team notoriously plays soft so expect some pressure from the DE's; but come SEC time we might not know what to expect from the D-line. This game appears to really shape up like last year's trip to arizoner--a physical beating that won't translate to the scoreboard, a long plane ride home with a SEC foe extra, super ready for the Dawgs at home (w/ maybe some lessons learned last year).

I ain't a real unsportsmanlike conduct guy but if #9 gets a knockdown with a right hook again; I'd probably tip my flask. All the gum flappin' out west is starting to get tired. These clowns need to get punched in the mouth like in '07, like hawaii, like boise, like lsux in '04 & '05 and like ark in '02. I think UGA has the coaches and leaders to put the team in good spots to start the year.

p.s. I never post anon and will eat my words Sunday if need be but I really like the Dawgs +6(haven't seen the moneyline yet) and plan on using the Silver Legacy as an ATM this weekend.

p.s.s. florida sucks

Anonymous said...

I like the confidence, PWD, but I'd also like to get Pulpwood Smith's take on our chances.

RedCrake said...

I'm sorry for the kid and I hope he gets better soon, but if we win, I am telling you right now we'll hear from the media that its because they lost their tight end and MLB before the game.

Of course, last year it was because we couldn't handle the hype, but whatever...

JasonC said...

I think the DL will be okay this year. It hurts not having Houston for this one, but Battle is healthy and Dobbs is solid. With Owens, Atkins and Weston in the middle, that will give the DEs more 1-on-1's that we will win some of the time. I don't expect it to be Moses and C. Johnson, but it should be solid enough.

shadrach said...

Pass rush is inside out, not outside in. Jeff Owens, Kade Weston, Geno Atkins and Deangelo Tyson are going to have a lot to say about how well Battle and Dobbs play. I like the boys chances to show Zac Robinson why his ass is cushiony.

Unknown said...

I think I just identified one HUGE difference between OK and GA. I don't believe I have never seen someone with a face made for print media doing a video interview. I'm not trying to be too superior but ye gods! I thought for a minute they had dragged some poor girl off the yech campus to interview this guy.

 
Copyright 2009 Georgia Sports Blog. Powered by Blogger Blogger Templates create by Deluxe Templates. WP by Masterplan