Georgia Sports Blog FanShop

January 12, 2010

Hoops: The Importance of the Ole Miss Game

Preseason I listed the Top 5 most important games for Coach Fox this year as (copied and pasted from the original article):

1. Georgia Tech (home) - I'm pretty sure that we haven't lost to Tech at home since 1976 (The series returned to campus in the mid-90s). Tech is loaded, but you still can't lose to them at home.

2. Alabama (home) - There's a segment of the fan base that will always compare Fox to Anthony Grant. This is a big game for perception.

3. Ole Miss (home) - The first SEC home game. The students will be back on campus, and there's a chance to give them a big show in a winnable game.

4. Florida (home) - I think this is the last SEC home game before the students go on Spring Break. More importantly, it looks like the highest profile winnable game on the schedule. There's an opportunity to show momentum and improvement by picking up a big win against the Gators at home.

5. New Orleans (home) - You never get a second chance to make a first impression.

So far, we're 2-0 against these 5 games. If I had to do that list over, I would put Ole Miss at #2. I had no idea the Rebels would be ranked as high as #21 coming into the game. The Illinois and Georgia Tech wins combined with the gritty showing in Lexington have caused some fans to finally give the team a look. Win and we start to finally get a little momentum and credibility within the fan base beyond the nut jobs and hard core types like me.

Lose...and it's tough to see where many wins come on the schedule until February. By the way, the SEC schedule maker deserves a kick in the balls for making us play 4 of our first six games away from Athens against 5 of the Top 6 teams in the league. Thanks for nothing.

We should have a pretty solid crowd on Wednesday night at 8:00 pm (SEC Network). Ole Miss is beatable. We just have to take it, and it's going to take a great crowd to help get us there.

Tickets on Sale Now

PWD

13 comments:

T said...

The Augusta Bulldog club has a bus of around 40 going to the Ole Miss game to give Fox & The Dawgs support

LHS said...

I'm one of the nut jobs and hard core types - I Guess.
Coach Fox has done a great job. Can he build a winner at a "Football School?" Look at Texas.

Go Dawgs!

Anonymous said...

I'll be there to give Fox's Hounds support.

FKS.......

The Watch Dawg said...

How do I know whether I'm a hardcore type or a nut job?

Unknown said...

Hard Core = You go to games when you know we have no shot.

Nut Job = You go to games and you think we have a shot when we don't.

;-)

Rick said...

I'll be there with a group of 12 people or so. Everyone get to the game! Go Dawgs!

Rick said...

Ah I get it, nut jobs are like Texas fans. I get it now. :)

Hunkering Hank said...

Call me a nut job if you want, but we won the SEC title with nothing but scrappy players and a crappy coach a few years back. We can do it again - this year.

Dubbayoo said...

UT doesn't seem to be missing those 4 guys so far.

NCT said...

I'm an idiot. I bought a pair of tickets to the game but forgot I have a deposition in Austell @ 5:30. That's cutting it too close. I can email the tickets to someone. They're not particularly special, but they're paid for. Sec GG, row 2. I'll accept but not expect a PayPal contribution toward the $19/ea purchase price. No hard feelings if someone just wants them for free.

The Watch Dawg said...

NCT,

I'd love to have them. Could you e-mail me at dm4usa@gmail.com? I'd give you something for them.

Anonymous said...

Hey NCT, I'll gladly take the tickets off your hands if you don't mind. My wife and I were just talking about possibly going to this game. We'll be cheering our butts off!

My email address is rickag@uga.edu

Thanks!

NCT said...

Cool. Sent.

 
Copyright 2009 Georgia Sports Blog. Powered by Blogger Blogger Templates create by Deluxe Templates. WP by Masterplan