|Misunderstood or Public Enemy?|
- Interference with the kick returner - We aren't having a halo rule. Except we are having a halo rule. Coverage players can't get within a yard of a returner until he fields the ball. The odds of this becoming an issue rank up there with Brian Van Gorder being cast as an extra in Boogie Nights 2 - Straight to Betamax.
- Punt blocking – Players have to politely excuse themselves around the punter's personal blockers when they are attempting to block the kick. A 15 yard penalty and a mandatory subscription to the Rogers Redding's podcast on French Colonoscopic Techniques if you try to, you know, go over or through them.
- Vandy, no more clipping and we mean it! – Offensive players can't go toward their own goal line and block below the waist. I like to call this the 'Vandy and Georgia Tech are going to get called on this alot' rule.
- Helmet Rule – Players must leave the game for one play if their helmets come off for any reason outside of live contact or penalty, and a 15 yard penalty will be assessed if a helmet comes off for any reason and the player continues that play. This will encourage players to keep their helmets tightly strapped and properly securred. This will also kill a nice little drinking game we have for when my wife goes bezerk over said helmets popping off during a play. Double points were awarded for when the same player has it happen twice in a series.
- Kickoffs – Teams will kickoff from the 35-yard line. Teams will start drives after a touch-back on the 25 yard line. Now, instead of asking a guy to kick it out of the endzone, we will ask them to not kick it out of the endzone. Probably to a corner where they can be covered better. You know it isn't hard. Just kick it to that corner. The kicker has to do it right for the scheme to work! /pokes eye out
(Video Credit: AJC)
|I'd love to see Evil Richt get rung up a time or two, though|
Also, officials will focus on coach's sideline behavior. That does not bode well for Spurrier, Saban or New Vandy™.