Georgia Sports Blog FanShop

February 14, 2013

How I feel about Florida

The other night, as I was walking into the Georgia Center for a cocktail before the basketball game, there was a group gathered around a TV watching the Florida/Kentucky basketball game. It was early, so Noels hadn't broken his leg off yet (not making light of it, just observing what it looked like; I sincerely hope he makes a full recovery), and it was tied at 11. I just shook my head and muttered something about meteor game, to which one of the gentleman sitting there said "how can you not hope Florida beats Kentucky? Kentucky is the worst, at least in basketball."

I was so taken aback at his statement, I just muttered something about rooting for the North Koreans over Florida and proceeded to find a special on hurricanes at the bar. While I appreciated the place the gentleman was coming from, I just can't get my head around openly (or ever) rooting for Florida. To support them winning at anything and not hoping for them to fail miserably, and then to do so with ladies present, just really set me back. Don't get me wrong, I didn't want Kentucky to win either, but still....

Thankfully I found a video (h/t Matt Norlander at CBS Sports) that captures the spirit of what I feel towards Florida. The video, from the Duke-UNC manager's basketball game, is fairly self explanatory  Duke hits a last second three to win. There are Duke students there. Watching a manager's basketball game. And they rush the floor.

That is how much they hate UNC, and how much seeing UNC lose means to them.


I am, by no means, a Duke fan, but I get it. I really get it.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you. There's NO WAY I can root for Florida...for ANYTHING.

EVER

Unknown said...

F*ck Florida. In everything...

Dawgfan Will said...

Amen, and amen.

Ginny said...

+1000, and I'll take it a step further. Anyone who DOES root for Florida in anything simply cannot be a true Georgia fan.

Bernie said...

To put it in the correct vernacular and sync it with the GSB infamous label - they are a turd that cannot be polished.

Dwax said...

I'm a Dawgs' fan and a Duke fan. I say GTHC!!!! Maybe one day UGA can get a third of the enthusiasm that Duke gets. I mean seriously, there were more Duke students at the manager's game than there are
UGA students at the UGA/Bamma game. Over 30,000 students at a college and we can't fill up a couple of sections? Pathetic. Go dawgs! Boo jean shorts!

Dawg19 said...

I am with Dwax. I am for Georgia first but I started pulling for Duke basketball years ago. I love college basketball and Georgia always leaves me needing more to pull for late in the season. As for the gators, I wouldn't pull for them if I was on the team plane and both engines went out...same goes for the heels...

 
Copyright 2009 Georgia Sports Blog. Powered by Blogger Blogger Templates create by Deluxe Templates. WP by Masterplan