UT, Mizzou or Mizzou would have to go 5-1 in that span or better depending on the tie breakers.
Ole Miss has games remaining:
- Home - UK, UF, Bama and Vandy
- Away - TAMU and ARK
- It's not impossible to imagine OM winning at TAMU and going 3-1 in the other home games. But it's no slam dunk.
This is up to UGA. It's the first time the basketball team has been in control over its destiny at this point in the season in over a decade. Granted 12 years ago, we were talking about the Big Dance and not the NIT Sock Hop, but still. This is our hill and these are our beans.
Win at South Carolina and at home vs Mississippi State and we only need 1 more among the other 4 games to likely take the 3 seed. The three seed would do several things:
1. Give UGA a double bye in the tournament. We haven't played on Friday that often.
2. We would get a manageable game on Friday in Atlanta against the 6, 11 or 14 seed. We have only seen Saturday in the Tourney twice in about 30 years. We have only seen Saturday in Atlanta ONCE and the damn arena gates were locked.
3. Give us a strong case for the NIT. The 3rd place team in the SEC even at 17-13 with a weak RPI (our RPI is only 89 right now per ESPN) is a viable team for the NIT. Win one in the SECT and you're at 18-14 and even with the weak RPI..that probably does enough to make the NIT.
I said before the season that regardless of what I think about Fox as a long term solution here...if he makes the NIT he deserves another year.
Win 3 more games and it's a no brainer that he would stay likely with a one year extension to avoid derailing recruiting. This is up to him and the team. They control their post-season fate. Fail to make the NIT, and I would be more than eager to move on and try another coach.
- 2014 SEC Tournament Bracket - SECSports.com