Georgia Sports Blog FanShop

January 5, 2006

Vince-sanity



While I love the SI cover above, ESPN.com used the headline I most expected. Best game I've ever seen; played on the biggest stage; by the best players.

Sure, both teams made mistakes. None bigger than Reggie's galatically stupid fumble on the pitch (sheer arrogance to even attempt that), but overall they executed at such a high level that it was a joy to watch this.

The game was played so well that it seemed there were almost no penalties. A look at the box score reveals that the teams combined for nine penalties for only 64 yards. Other than the killer face mask on Vince and a late hit on Leinart, I don't remember many painful calls for either team.

I had this growing feeling that I was becoming less and less of a sports fan and more of just a Georgia fan because of this blog. Last night proved me wrong. I enjoyed that game almost as much as I've enjoyed 90% of the Georgia games that I've seen.

Congrats to the 2006 Longhorns. National Champs in the truest since.

Around the blogosphere from FanBlogs.

Georgia fans looking to vomit can read Stewart Mandel's early ranking of the Top 10 for 2006, which assumes Vince comes back. Not much on his list I agree with. As the other early projections roll out, I'll try and comment on those all at once.

Oh...and one last thought. I *definitely* would have gone for it on 4th and 2. Pete had the #1 offensive line in the country, a huge back, momentum, a lousy punter, and he was facing a team with an unstoppable QB with three timeouts in his pocket.

If I had to choose between 1 play to win it all and giving the ball back to Vince in that situation, I go for it too. His aggressive play calling got them into that game. He had to keep calling the game that way.

pwd

7 comments:

Dan said...

Paul, my only real disagreement on going for it was that Bush wasn't even on the field. Line him up at wideout, go PA to him, have him the snap the damn ball, whatever.

But when you have the best college player in the country and arguably of all time he should be on the field for a play that big.

Astronaut Mike Dexter said...

Did Carroll learn nothing from the Sugar Bowl? You always fake-punt in a situation like that. It's like doubling down on an 11. Always!

Jmac said...

Great photo=Great headline.

And I, for one, don't think Eric Metcalf, er, Reggie Bush, is the best player in college football. Good? Sure but Vince Young kinda threw the gauntlet down last night, didn't he?

Hunker Down said...

Paul,

I agree about how enjoyable that game was. My stomach was in a knot for the last 5 minutes and I did not have a Dawg in the fight, so to speak. My stomach felt like it does during Georgia games, which I found weird, but an indication that I was intensely wrapped up in the exciting outcome of the game.

Also agree with JMAC, Vince young was the best player on the field last night by a gaping margin. As I write this, I am struggling to name any other players on the Texas offense. I can name Leinhart, Bush, White, and Jarrett without thinking. The point is, with Vince, it was 11 against one and they could not stop him. Not taking anything away from the Texas tight end and receivers, but the mobility of Vince made everything else work for the UT offense. He will be a great NFL QB IMHO.

Hamp

Anonymous said...

Paul~

How can you call Reggie Push's attempted lateral "Sheer arrogance"? He is a playmaker, and that's what he was trying to do. Sure, it was dumb.. but if it worked, USC is up 14-0 and ESPN is probably resting on it's pre-game laurels that lauded Southern Cal as the greatest thing since Penicillin.

mhofeld said...

4th downs cost USC the game. They got stuffed on one when they should have kicked a field goal and the got stuffed on another when they should have punted. Make Young go 80 plus yards to beat you instead of 55.

Worrier said...

Re: Mandel's top 10 for 2006; maybe most surprising was who wasn't mentioned: Miami!! I can understand partly the Georgia disrespect because of the QB situation. I hate Miami and am glad they were thumped, fired coaches, etc. Usually the media loves them though.

I give Coker 2 more years at best.

 
Copyright 2009 Georgia Sports Blog. Powered by Blogger Blogger Templates create by Deluxe Templates. WP by Masterplan