Georgia Sports Blog FanShop

August 25, 2007

SI.com Profiles the Lead Dawg


Damon Evans

In case you missed it, SI.com columnist Aditi Kinkhabwala wrote a great piece on UGA athletic director Damon Evans last week. She detailed Damon's nine year rise through the ranks at the UGA athletic department from financial analyst to AD.

While Damon inherited one of the best athletic programs in the country from Vince Dooley, he made it better by earning more money, increasing student GPAs through his class attendance policy, and stepping up football scheduling to increase the national profile of UGA athletics. All of this while not only deftly handling the pressure of being young (for an AD) and the SEC's first black AD (a designation Damon seems to appreciate but not dwell on, to his credit).

With all that being said, Damon has yet to make a critical decision that is known to the entire fanbase, like hiring a coach for football or basketball. It's those decisions that make or break an AD. The average Dawg fan doesn't care about profitability or (unfortunately) graduation rates. They want wins. It sounds like Damon appreciates this reality. Given his great start, Bulldog Nation should have a confidence that the athletic department is in good hands.

Quinton McDawg

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Could be wrong, but I thought Evans had a lot to do with choosing Felton?

Ludakit said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ludakit said...

I really like Evans. I accidentally bumped into him and his wife while walking back from the stadium after a night game. I shook his hand, told him I appreciated all the hard work he's done, and hoped for continued success in the future.

He seemed geniunely appreciative, shook my hand right back (my Dad's as well), his wife said a few nice things, and then they went about their way. That just screams to me that this man is apart of the UGA community, bleeds red and black as much as the rest of us, and wants to succeed as making UGA a national powerhouse in all areas. It's hard to see what I'm talking about from that story, but trust me when I say it.

I really hope the best for him and hope he sticks at UGA as long as he wants.

 
Copyright 2009 Georgia Sports Blog. Powered by Blogger Blogger Templates create by Deluxe Templates. WP by Masterplan