Georgia Sports Blog FanShop

July 29, 2005

Blog Poll Roundtable 4: Dawgs Gone Wild

The latest installment of the Blog Poll Roundtable focuses on rivalries. Joey at Blue-Gray Sky explains how this one works . What is the Blog Poll you ask? Brian has the answers.


1. Who are your rival(s)?
How much time do you have? Almost everyone we play considers us a rival. For me the two biggest games of the year are Florida and Tech. I enjoy beating Florida more than any other team on the schedule each year, and I HATE losing to Tech more than other team.

Granted I have limited experience in beating the Gators. But I've done it just enough to know that I love it.

I've been on the road or neutral sites to play every team in the SEC except the Bizaroo Dogs. Everyone in the SEC East, I've seen at least 5 times. Most of them are about the same on the obnoxious-o-meter. Some good fans. Some a-holes. But the fan base that is typically full of more jackasses is South Carolina. And having Spurrier will do nothing to tame that. UGA fans don't consider the Gamecocks a rival, but we DO consider their coach a rival. So you can go ahead and add the Coots to our list going foward.

2. Size up your chances in your rival games this year.
The only rivalry game that I'm feeling very worried about is Tennessee. They've got a good ballclub coming back this year. And after 2 in a row in Neyland, they will be up for the game. I love having Georgia Tech at the end of the schedule. Their lack of depth along both lines will likely leave them as a shadow of the team they are in September. (BTW -- Tech is a Top 20 team in 2006). I like us at least 50-50 vs. Auburn and Florida.

[Photo Right: Tech's OL doesn't scare me]

3. If you could start up a new rivalry with another team, who would it be?
PENN STATE! I know they are down a bit right now, but who cares. We still owe them from Jan 1, 1983 when they beat us for the National Title. As a kid growing up in Alabama, I used to think it was cool that Alabama seemed to play PSU every year. I'd love to get something like that going. With so many PSU alums in Atlanta, it would be a great fit.

There's a large chunk of the Bulldog fanbase that wants to see us take advantage of the 12th game to put Clemson back on the schedule permanently. Not me. After 5 in a row, beating the Tigers is old hat.

[Photo Above: '83 Sugar Bowl. Ouch How many times does ESPN Classic really need to replay this game?]

4. Overall, what do you think the best rivalry in college football is?
If we're talking about how they impact the rest of the college football universe then UF vs. UT, Miami vs. FSU, Michigan vs. Ohio State and Oklahoma vs. Texas do more to shape the college football landscape than the other rivalries. But for sheer bloodsport, I have to go with Alabama vs. Auburn. That game means more to them than any other game I've ever come across.

[Photo Above: Growing up a Bama fan, Van Tiffin's 50+ yarder to beat Auburn is my most vivid childhood football memory.]

5. Lastly, game trophies. What are the best and worst rivalry trophies out there?
I'm honestly not a big fan of these things. It's such a Big 10 thing to do. Personally, I think if your rivalry trophy is less than 50 years old it's a joke. Realistically, I think it needs to be 75+ years old and it needs to have been stolen at least a dozen times or have some other great story.

Take UGA vs. Georgia Tech. We had played each other 90+ time and then out of the clear blue sky we started playing for the "Governor's Trophy." I'd wager than 90% of Tech fans don't even know about the trophy. Although, one could argue that's because they've never seen it. lol. Another meaningless trophy.

[Photo Above: Trophy Wives = Yes. Rivalry Trophies = No.]

What are your thoughts on UGA's rivals?

Posted by me for the Georgia Bulldog Sports Blog

0 comments:

 
Copyright 2009 Georgia Sports Blog. Powered by Blogger Blogger Templates create by Deluxe Templates. WP by Masterplan