Georgia Sports Blog FanShop

July 1, 2005

BlogPoll - I've been asked to be a College Football Pollster

I think we would all agree that the world needs a better poll than the AP, Coaches or BCS. I'm not sure that the new Blog Poll is the best answer, but at least you know where the writers are coming from.

This week, I was asked by the writer of mgoblog to participate in his 2005 Blog Poll. He's assembling college football fans who run blogs devoted primarily to the topic of college football. We're going to vote every week on our Top 25. Our votes will all be made public as will our biases (like my passion for the Dawgs).

He's going to also do some statistical analysis for each pollster's "Shameless Bias". He's going to look each week at the overall ballots and compare each person's ranking of their own team and conference to the overall trend for that school. To find the homers.

The things I like about the poll:
1. Your ballot is public.
2. The world can give you direct feedback on your ballot.
3. It's geographically distributed. (scroll to the lower left side to see the pollsters)
4. The requirement is to vote based on how you think the Top 25 teams would do if they faced one another on a NEUTRAL field. The entire problem with the AP and Coaches polls is that they look at where they think a team will end up. So West Virigina last year was ranked artificially high b/c their schedule was so weak most folks knew they wouldn't lose much. Or Purdue this year. Without having to play OSU or Michigan, they have a chance to run the table. But does that mean they are the Big 10's best team?

Anyway, I'll let you know when I put together my first ballot.

In the meantime, what would YOUR Top 10 look like? Post in the comments ares your thoughts. Convince me.

0 comments:

 
Copyright 2009 Georgia Sports Blog. Powered by Blogger Blogger Templates create by Deluxe Templates. WP by Masterplan