Georgia Sports Blog FanShop

July 12, 2005

My back and forth with Heisman Pundit on the Top 25

I asked HeismanPundit for his take on my Blog Poll Top 25 from a west coast point of view. Specifically on the Pac-10.

Here had some interesting takes. Some I can defend better than others. Here are his comments and my retort(s)....

1. "Several teams strike me as being too high in his ranking" including Oklahoma, LSU, Tennessee, Georgia, FSU, UVA and Colorado

A retort:
OU at #7- OU has outrecruited everyone in the Big 12 the past 4 years except for Mack Brown. And they arguably have the best coaching staff in the country now that USC has experienced so much turnover. Granted they lost a TON of players. But...but...well coached superior athletes are going to win a heap of ball games. #7 may be a tad high, but not by more than 1-2 spots.

LSU #8- I believe that you can throw UGA, LSU and UT into a hat and pull them out in almost any order. It's simply a question of which team's QB will settle into their job fastest. LSU is more talented than any teams in America other than Texas and USC. How long will the adjustment period be? I don't know. But right now, I like them at #8.

UT #9- I keep wavering on this one. They have a veteran OL, great RBs, Ainge looked awesome when healthy, but 3 of their DBs are godawful. On a neutral field, UGA takes 5-6 from them. Sadly, we get them in Neyland. Right now, I like Ainge under QB more than Shockley. And UT has more talent...and Fulmer almost always finds a way to win 10.

FSU #15- You say that FSU is too high. Who's better Boise? BC? TAMU? Oregon? I'm sorry, but the only team below that that you could even make an arguement is better would be UF. And Meyer's teams at BGSU and Utah struggled to pick up his systems in Year 1. I like UF for the SECC in 2006, but not this year.

UVA #18- Groh has a world of talent. He's a solid but wildly unspectacular coach. Many of the teams below them in my ranking are also unpreditable. I like them as good as anyone at #18.

UGA #10- Boise gave up 320+ yards rushing to Lville. UGA's offensive line is bigger and stronger with comparable speed. Our backs are *at least* as good if not better. Lville went through Boise like a hot knife through butter. Also, Boise struggled mightly to move the ball on Lville. They had 21 gift points off turnovers or it isn't even a game and this certainly wouldn't the trendy pick of the pre-season. So while the Georgia Bulldogs may lose 2-3 games this year one of them will not be Boise.

Colorado - I'll give you that one.

2. HeismanPundit said the following teams were underrated Auburn, Boise and Texas A&M

Auburn - Tuberville has had exactly one season in his history where he did not lose 4 or more games. He is not now - nor has he ever been - a genius. His one great season involved having 2 Top 5 RBs, a first round draft pick QB and 1st round CB. None of those are back. Hell, AU has replace the Caddy and the Hummer with a white guy as their running back. White Running backs are as useless as tits on a bull. (note: I am white)

TAMU - Here's an analogy for you. Alabama Governor George Wallace is to Open Mindedness and Racial Equality as Dennis Franchoine is to Offensive Imagination. This is a team that lost to Baylor last year. Baylor for gosh sake. In the Utah game they looked like one of the worst conditioned teams in big time football. If I under ranked someone it was Texas Tech. (who I'm wavering on as we speak)

Boise - The day that Boise beats a Top 20 BCS school, I'll take them seriously, and that day will not be Sept. 3. Boise's biggest win ever was over a #6 Fresno State (at the time) team that ended up in the Silicon Valley of the Dolls Bowl. The last time they played an SEC team they lost 41-14 to an Arkansas team that UGA beat by 30 points that year.


Now....all of that said....I'm very open minded as to why Boston College, VT, Ohio State, Iowa, Oregon, Purdue or Pitt might be over or underrated. The team I'm least confident in rating is BC. I'm also interested in learning more about Cal.

BTW -- The only door that anyone from UCLA is knocking on is the one at the unemployment office. "Hello, my name is Karl Dorrell and I'm looking for work."

Paulwesterdawg - Georgia Football and Other Dawg Sports Blog

0 comments:

 
Copyright 2009 Georgia Sports Blog. Powered by Blogger Blogger Templates create by Deluxe Templates. WP by Masterplan