Georgia Sports Blog FanShop

September 26, 2005

Thoughts on Starkville and MSU in general

This was my first trip to Starkville. I've now hit 11 of 12 SEC stadiums with no real intention of hitting The Swamp. Some thoughts:

The People -- Everyone in Starkville was exceptionally nice to us. Our tailgate hosts were accomodating and friendly and the environment was solid. I think the MSU folks were enjoying the novelty of having Georgia in town. Our group was certainly enjoying the novelty of being in Starkville.

The lack of familiarity between the two programs prevents the sort of contempt for each other that Georgia fans and their more regular rivals share. This was only Georgia's 4th visit to Starkville despite both teams being charter members of the SEC. Several people we spoke with commented on seeing Herschel run in 1982. No one mentioned steamrollers.

The Campus -- They are working to modernize it from what I saw. There are some older dorms that make Russell and Brumby look modern. Because of the weather and the general spreadout nature of the campus, we didn't see much. It appears to be a work in progress.

The tailgating -- It wouldn't be fair to judge anyone on their tailgating scene based on the weather conditions.

The Hump (basketball arena) -- The building was open. I think they renovated it about 10 years ago. Imagine if Stegeman was a complete bowl instead of a horseshoe and the seats were closer to the court all the way around. Also imagine a better paint job, a roof who's problems are not exposed and somewhat better concourses and you have The Hump.

The MSU Football Program -- I'm more convinced than ever that Croom is the right man for Mississippi State. It is just going to take time. He lost 29+ players who refused to live by his rules. He's also in the process of losing players to scholarship reductions. When he gets a full roster watch out. I was impressed that his team didn't quit. And I was impressed that the thuggish, bush league, late hitting, eye poking, jawing, punkittude from the Sherrill era was gone. He's good for the SEC.

In fact, I think they still have a shot at a bowl game. They still play Houston, Arkansas, Ole Miss and Kentucky. All of those teams are very beatable. Beating Arkansas in Little Rock will be the biggest test. Nutt is almost invincable at The Rock.

Overall, Starkville was less charming than Ole Miss, but much less needlessly pretentious. They were there for a football game. Not a fashion show. Good people.


pwd

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks on the nice blog on Starkville and my beloved MSU Bulldogs..Hope to see you guys again..

-MSU Dawg

Anonymous said...

Think MSU is regretting Rafael Palmiero's name lighting up the campus skyline? Made me think, "huh"? MSU fans we sat with in Section V showed great hospitality...also commented on Herschel!! Wishing MSU much luck remainder of year.

Anonymous said...

I've traveled to 10 other SEC campuses, and the folks at State were by far the greatest. We sat next to 6 State fans,who by the way were from Arkansas, who were constantly asking about Athens, where to go, etc. About midway through the 1st quarter, I made a remark to my buddy about wishing I had 1 more beer.Next thing I know, the State fans pull 4 pints of Jim Beam from a backpack, then offer to go buy the cokes to mix with it. When I asked about getting searched, they just laughed. Apparently they're just happy to have people show up and fill the stands.By far the nicest bunch of fans I've run across in the SEC. Even when we visited the bookstore, I was expecting someone to yell at us,but at the front door they had employees holding the door for us! we even had an elderly couple offer their umbrella for us to walk back to the car. Try and find that in Columbia or on the Plains!Looking forward to the next trip , I guess aroung 2010 or so?

Anonymous said...

I am glad to see these postings. I am a WEST VIRGINIA fan and will be making a trip to Starksville in early Oct. Could any of you recommend accomidations?

 
Copyright 2009 Georgia Sports Blog. Powered by Blogger Blogger Templates create by Deluxe Templates. WP by Masterplan