Georgia Sports Blog FanShop

January 25, 2006

FAQ on Georgia's use of Hargrave and Fork Union

I wrote this FAQ on Georgia's use of Hargrave last year around signing day. There were a few Tech fans complaining about UGA using these prep school like Hargrave so "they must be dirty."

In the linked FAQ, I talked about who else uses these two schools. Basically, 11 of the 12 SEC schools regularly use them along with at least 9 of the 12 ACC schools. Only Wake, Vandy and GT avoid them. I'm not sure about Boston College.

Duke, UVA and UNC all send players to these schools. In fact, UVA sends a bunch of players to Hargrave including superstar Ahmad Brooks. Many Big 10 and Big East schools use these and similar prep schools.

In fact, this year's Hargrave team has players who have already signed with the following schools:

Alabama (1)
Auburn (1)
Florida State (3)
Georgia (1)
Illinois (1)
Kentucky (1)
Maryland (2)
Mississippi State (1)
North Carolina (1)
Ole Miss (2)
Syracuse (1)
Tennessee (1)
West Virginia (1)

The FAQ also briefly talks about what the kids get out of going, and what their intended schools really get out of it. Here's an article about Eddie George and Vinny Testaverde's time at Fork Union.

My feelings when I first wrote the article were the same then as today.
There is a difference between a dumb kid and a lazy kid. And not all lazy kids will be lazy forever. How long should a kid be penalized for the decisions he makes a a FR and SOPH in High School?

Bottom line: When they get out of Hargrave they STILL have to pass the same SAT that every other recruit has to pass in order to meet the same NCAA standards that they had to meet before they got there
.

CrackerJacket, one of The Hive admins, was nice enough to archive the post for me back then. Given that it's almost signing day, I thought it was relevant to repost.

Given that signing day is so close, I thought it was worth reposting the link.

pwd

8 comments:

C. Paul said...

I know that Techsters hate when facts get in the way of good fiction.

From everything I've read - Hargrave serves a great purpose but it is not my first choice on where I'd want to spend a year of my life.

Solid work.

Dan said...

I'm reading through that thread again and it still pisses me off. I don't understand why our fans are so stupid sometimes.

I'd be willing to bet that eventually we'd use Hargrave or a school like it and then all of the hemming and hawking about how "it's different here" will begin.

Anonymous said...

I've asked the question before and I'll ask it here..no put down on the schools at all...who pays the several thousands of dollars that it cost to send some poor kid to Hargraves, GMC, Fork Union or the like? They all have scholarship programs but they're limited. Do boosters, D-1 schools, or whoever pays have to clear that with the NCAA?? Would like that explained please!

Anonymous said...

I've said this before, but kids from my high school routinely went to different prep schools for a post-grad, or PG year to improve their chances of getting into better colleges. Most often, they were looking to get into Harvard or Yale rather than Georgia or Auburn, but the principle is the exact same. The only difference is how you hope to apply the lessons learned at such an institution.

Anonymous said...

I believe I have read that it is generally a big finacial burden on many of the families that send kids to these prep schools. I remember an article where the coach talked about how they split the limited scholarships they have (like most any private school has) much like they do for Baseball at most D-I schools.

Unknown said...

Many of the alumni football players are heavy contributors. The prep schools lean on them pretty hard to fund the scholarship programs.

But the bottomline is that I don't know where the money comes from. HOWEVER, given that 11 SEC schools, 9 ACC schools and a large chunk of the Big East and Big 10 ALL use those schools, the issue must be very transparent or else the NCAA would be all over the issuue.

Does anyone think for a second that Georgia Tech wouldn't rat on UGA, Bama or Auburn if they thought we were cheating / illegally paying for these kids to attend these prep programs?

Does anyone believe for a minute that Wake wouldn't kick the hell out of NCSU, UNC and NCSU for using those programs if there wasn't a legal way to do it?

I don't know how it works, and I don't really care. It's transparent to the NCAA and that works for me.

Anonymous said...

I believe they go into loan debt just like 80% of today's college students do...if you think it will help you get to the NFL or get an Ivy League education, it is probably a pretty good investment..

Anonymous said...

I go to Fork Union and most of the PG's get financial aid from FUMA. If a player signs to school, the school usually helps pay the difference after they are signed. The head PG coach at FUMA has a son who plays at TECH. Hargrave is easy on the PG's. Most of them don't pay a dime untill they even get to college.

 
Copyright 2009 Georgia Sports Blog. Powered by Blogger Blogger Templates create by Deluxe Templates. WP by Masterplan