On signing day, Coach Richt told Josh Kendall of the Macon Telegraph the following concerning Matt Stafford:
"Matthew came out of a very good system and has thrown just about every throw you’d like a quarterback to throw," Richt said.
"He would have been in the top two or three (quarterbacks) of any year I've been looking at tape," Richt said. "I think most everybody has read enough about the ability he has, but when you see it on film or in person, it's pretty exciting."
Let's look at what Richt was talking about.
- Stafford's first TD aftering missing the first two games with a knee sprain. Game vs. Bishop Lynch HS. Looks like a skinny post
- Stafford to Hudnall for 71 yard TD vs Sam Houston HS. Hits WR in stride 30 yards down field on the streak.
- Stafford to Dickenson for 36 yard TD vs. Lincoln HS. Looks like a corner route 25 yards in the air while getting clobbered by a blitzing LB. High School QBs don't make this throw.
- Stafford to Dickenson for 47 yard TD vs. Terrell HS. It's 25 yard post pattern with great touch off of sweet play action. You can see the same route here for another TD. And this one is even deeper and more impressive vs. Wylie HS.
- Stafford can run too. Here he goes end over end for a TD vs. Wylie. Like that? Well, he goes head over heels again here. He goes for 40 yards on the designed draw vs. Ennis. And my personal favorite, the 52 yard option keeper with a fake for the ages.
- Stafford hits Dickenson vs. Poteet. Can you say Brett Favre? Gotta love this.
- Post Corner route to Lawson vs Poteet. And another one on a rope for 25 yards vs. Texas High.
- Am I crazy, or is this a 25 yard deep out to the far sideline resulting in a 66 yard TD vs. Texas High.
- Another deep ball for another 50+ yard TD. This one in the state playoffs.
- State semi-final game shows us this great crossing pattern in traffic. Hits his man full stride. Again.
- Deep post off the play action pass in the state semi-finals game.
He. Can. Do. It. All.
I can't wait for spring.
All Videos from the Bear Wire video site.