Georgia Sports Blog FanShop

April 3, 2006

Is that like Hockey...without the Horses?

So I'm sitting at the Mexican restaurant with RoyOrbisonDawg (my brother) and IHeartFinebaumDawg (my dad). We're talking sports when the convo goes nuts:
    Roy: "Can you believe that rape stuff at Duke? That's crazy."

    Dad: "Yeah it sounds awful, but I'm not sure I know what Lacrosse is. Is that like Hockey without the horses?"

    Me and Roy: [Silence]

    Me: "Yeah dad, it's just like that. Except that there's no horses in Hockey."

    Dad: "Sure there is."

    Roy: "No, I'm positive there isn't."

    Me: "Dad, he's right. The ice doesn't get thick enough."
Sigh. What can you do? The upside of parental aging is the comedy. I will say this...dad is not eagerly awaiting this blog.


In dad's defense, there is at least 1 photo on the Internets of horses on ice.

In other news....legendary wrestler Nikolai Volkoff will enter politics as he runs for office in the Maryland House of Delegates.
"Volkoff, a U.S. citizen since 1970 and now a registered Republican, is actually from Yugoslavia, not the Soviet Union, and has spent the last 10 years learning America's democratic process. He said he supports the GOP because its members helped liberate his country.

"They loved me when I wrestled. I made a good living. I just want to give something back," Volkoff said. "I was a good wrestler and now I want to be a good politician."

Volkoff, 59, did not disclose specific campaign issues, but said he is particularly upset with high taxes and the increasing cost of living. He remembered when he could spend "$2 for 20 cans of sardines, and now $5 will get you only six cans."
So there's that. More on Volkoff's wrestling career.


Volkoff's old tag partner the Iron Sheik is rumored to be running for UN Arms Inspector (ok not really)

Anyway, the Dawgs scrimmage again Monday. We may have links to more news from that late Monday night. If not, we'll just make some stuff up.

pwd

3 comments:

Dawgnoxious said...

In defense of your dad, there wasn't a whole lot of lacrosse or hockey getting played in his neck of the South growing up.

I always knew Nikolai had potential. Now, Nikita Koloff--there was a lost cause.

There's irony somewhere to be found in the fact a former Communist is more fiscally conservative than our President. At least Reagan rubbed off on someone.

Anonymous said...

He was probably thinking of polo, which is like hockey *with* horses. (Or buzkashi, which is like polo but with an animal carcass instead of a ball.)

Wes Wolfe said...

Reagan wasn't fiscally conservative -- tax cuts for the wealthy and heavy defense spending equals deficits. But I'm sure someone on the GOP cares about balancing the budget, it's just that they come from Eastern Europe.

But I am pissed about how liberals keep raising taxes on sardines. Bastards.

 
Copyright 2009 Georgia Sports Blog. Powered by Blogger Blogger Templates create by Deluxe Templates. WP by Masterplan