Georgia Sports Blog FanShop

August 14, 2006

Big Time Athlete Visits Athens

Last year, my favorite recruiting videos were from Kentucky's Micah Johnson. He was a 270 pound wrecking ball playing RB (among other positions) in high school, and he'll likely play DE and DT in college. The year before that I would've gone with CJ Bryd's videos as my favorites. And in the 2004 recruiting class it was comedy watching Charles Johnson returning punts, playing running back and destroying people at defensive end.

This year, it's almost cliche to say your favorite video comes from Noel Devine (warning the audio track this version of Devine's recruiting video isn't safe for work. Just hit mute on it). Outside of that obvious choice, I'm going with Kansas born Christian Ballard.

Ballard is a 6'4" 270+ pound defensive end / tight end who originally commited to Kansas before becoming interested in UGA. He's the type of kid that you sign and figure out where to play him later. He's willing to play DE, DT, OL or TE if he signs with UGA. His video shows a big strong kid that is a punishing blocker with good wheels and a DE with great pursuit ability. It's mostly impressive when you project that big, mobile body into a DT or OL. The kid's potential is off the charts.

He told SuperPrep:
"I am going to look at game atmosphere," he said. "I want to see how hyped the fans are at both schools. That will help me make my decision."
Considering the other team in the mix is Kansas, "hitdawg" from ThePorch said, "Based on that interview he will commit before he makes it all the way through the Dawg Walk." Nice.

More on Ballard's visit:PWD


Note: Eric Berry's video is a bucket of fun too, but watching that big dude from Kansas rumble gets me fired up.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

No one comes near Devine's video, but I'm a big fan of Allen Bailey's clips. The Sapelo Island star is gonna be a great one, and he does some serious damage.

shliknik said...

I can comment on the JayHawk's gameday atmosphere. My wife and I attended the KS/NE game in Lawrence last year and we were AMAZED (shocked actually) how tame and quiet the fans were. Even after Kansas beat Nebraska for the first time since '67, the fans were boring!!! I think my wife and I were the loudest (most obnoxious!!!) ones there! It was fun being a JayHawk for a day though....kinda like rooting for Vandy.

If the recruit is even considering basing his choice on gameday atmosphere, he hasn't actually attended a bigtime college FB game.

It's good to be back in the South and attending some UGA games this fall again!

Anonymous said...

shliknik, I know the feeling. My wife is an Indiana alum. Several years back, we went to IU's Homecoming with several of her friends, one of whom is married to a big Michigan fan. Given that it was IU, Mike and I each had an entire row to ourselves in which we could pace and holler for IU. Suffice to say, other than one old guy down near the field, we were the only ones making noise that day. IIRC, it was raining, and I had my Georgia poncho on. Got a lot of weird looks from Hoosier fans wondering why the Georgia guy was making such a ruckus.

Nathan said...

pwd - I've watched Ballard play (I lived in Lawrence the past two years). I'll shoot you an e-mail breakdown of what I saw.

His video is very impressive, he's got a ton of physical tools. His game performance right now leaves a ton to be desired.

 
Copyright 2009 Georgia Sports Blog. Powered by Blogger Blogger Templates create by Deluxe Templates. WP by Masterplan