Georgia Sports Blog FanShop

August 21, 2006

Dawgs Abroad: Tuning in from China

After a long hiatus, I've returned to the Dawgs Abroad series. If you remember, I had asked Dawg fans living all over the world to let me know what hoops they had to jump through to keep up with UGA sports. Below DaveinChina weighs in on his techno savvy methods for keeping up.
    Paul,
    I’m a [recent] UGA grad living with two other UGA graduates in China. There is also a girl who lives in my city who is [recent] grad as well.

    PWD: How do you watch games? What hoops do you have to jump through?

    We all have been getting up to see the football games on the Slingbox, which is a new device that will take your home tv (ie tv in America) to the internet.

    This has been great especially considering that most of the dawgs games were on tv this past year. For the couple of games that were not on t.v. we listened to Munson over the internet. The Slingbox has really good quality at 3 a.m. because nobody is using the bandwidth but after around 9 the Slingbox’s speed slows down and it becomes harder to watch because of people getting online.

    We have a little tailgate every game so we usually have coffee, scrambled eggs, muffins, grits, and bacon. The games are always so much fun because you have other dawgs fans there to watch the game with and celebrate every touchdown and mourn over every loss. It is just like being at any bar in the States with a few UGA fans watching the game, though the time difference is 12 hours.

    [image: Typical Chinese tailgate?]

    I always give my brother and father a call over Vonage before every game because they go to all the games both home and away. I want to hear perspective about the atmosphere and to know what people are predicting for the game.

    I also give them a call after the game to hear their perspective game of the game after they had seen it live. After the game I usually just go to bed and sleep the rest of the day.

    Just to give you insight into the culture of SEC football in my city. There are not just UGA grads here there are also 7 Auburn grads who live in my city. They do the same thing for their games as well. The Georgia-Auburn game is huge because of all get together and watch the game. Since the 2005 game was at night in the States the Slingbox worked well for the first 3 quarters then didn’t work and we had to listen to Munson the last quarter. The Auburn fans said we could listen to Munson because they said because he is so pessimistic and is not a guy who during the game at all thought UGA would win.


    DaveinChina had to endure way too much of this last year

    My roommate says when he first came over to study he could only listen to Munson and would have a webcam setup and he could watch like one frame per ever 2 or 3 seconds. He says this past year has been amazing with the Slingbox even though it did not work perfectly every single game.

    One of the nicest things about the Slingbox is that my dad can tivo something in America and I can watch it later, so I usually watch the basketball and baseball games later on in the day.

    The best way for me to keep up though with UGA is through your blog, dawgbone.net, and georgiadogs.com. The internet really has been a blessing because otherwise I would be required to only hear about things over the phone or have articles sent in the mail.

    I hope all this helps with your blog if you have more questions I would love to answer them. Go Dawgs! ~DaveinChina
Thanks Dave! PWD

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a Damn Good Dawg that fellow is!!

Anonymous said...

I'm in China too! Luckily, I'll be back in the USA by the time college football starts, but I'll likely be in China again at some time during the season. What city is DaveinChina in? If we're close, it'd be great to meet up for those UGA games. (I'm in Suzhou, not too far from Shanghai.)

Anonymous said...

Can pwd or someone please tell us the url of the radio station website where Munson broadcasts are available during games? Is it free or subscription?

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I lived in China for three years after graduating from UGA and remember waking up at 2 in the morning to listen to Munson. The greatest moment was hearing the call of Sean Jones picking up the Tennessee fumble and running it back. I just jumped up and down as quietly as I could so I didn't wake the wife and baby. UGA football is pretty awesome on the other side of the world.

Unknown said...

To the person asking about radio - I think the info is available on Georgiadogs.com somewhere.

To the person asking about DaveinChina. I can't tell you where he is.

pwd

 
Copyright 2009 Georgia Sports Blog. Powered by Blogger Blogger Templates create by Deluxe Templates. WP by Masterplan