Georgia Sports Blog FanShop

August 22, 2007

Damon Evans throws his old QB a Touchdown Pass

UGA and WSB 750am announced that Scott Howard will be joined in the Radio booth by former Georgia quarterback Eric Zeier for all 2007 road games. Howard has handled color commentary duties for UGA football along side Larry Munson since '93. He will move over to the play by play chair while Zeier takes the color job. Georgiadogs.com has all the details. Per the announcement:
Veteran Georgia radio announcer Scott Howard and former All-America quarterback Eric Zeier will serve as the University of Georgia football radio broadcast team for road games during the 2007 season according to an announcement by UGA Director of Athletics Damon Evans and Bulldog rights holder and flagship station, News/Talk 750 WSB.

The Georgia home games will feature Larry Munson, starting his 42nd season, in the play-by-play role with Howard providing color as he has since 1993. Loran Smith will fill his normal role as Tailgate Show co-host and sideline reporter for all games this season while Neil “Hondo” Williamson will continue to co-host the Tailgate Show as well as fulfill his duties in the booth.
Personally, I think this is an excellent choice. I've heard Zeier on the radio several times, and he provides a high energy, candid take on things. He's more energetic than Buck Belue, and he's not a imbecile loose cannon like Jeff Dantzler.

One of Zeier's wide receivers on the '91 and '92 teams was a young guy named...Damon Evans. Eric might've had the inside track on this one given that his old teammate was running the search. Regardless, good for him.

By the way...I truly am old. My former classmate is the color guy for the football team. Damn. That's a gig for old-timers right?

See Also:
-- AJC's take on the new team - AJC (great quote from Howard near the end!)

PWD

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you Westerdawg, this makes me feel old. I guess now I don't have to care that I clearly look like an alumnus at a game.

Anonymous said...

Good for Eric. Of course, the timing couldn't be better with the Homebanc situation. And you are right, he's much better for us listeners than some of the alternatives.

Anonymous said...

I love Eric, but would've preferred Kevin Butler. Eric is a UGA icon, no doubt, but I wasn't that impressed with him on the 5th quarter show.
Hope like hell this isn't Munson's last year.

Unknown said...

I love Butler as a Dawg, but I think he's dreadful on the 5th quarter show.

Anonymous said...

Your AJC link is broken... should go to

http://www.ajc.com/news/content/sports/uga/stories/2007/08/22/0823_zeier.html

Or...

AJC Link

Anonymous said...

I think Butler is on the intoxicated side during the 5Q show. JMHO, but he sounds lit ...

Anonymous said...

You were right the first time - imbecile.

DAve said...

One of my tailgating friends has been working in the athletic center, treating hurt players. She said one of them laughed at how "old" she was when she said she was an undergrad when Bobo was the QB. I can only wonder how "old" that makes me since Zeier was in his final year when I was a freshman.

Unknown said...

Dave - I'm a year older than Zeier. I remember him being in my Geography or Geology (or some sort of ology) class when he was an early enrollee freshman that winter.

I was like...

"What? We have a bald QB?"

BTW-- the AJC link is fixed.

JasonC said...

I watched Zeier destroy my high school on our homecoming my senior year in high school (56-0 I think), and then SW DeKalb beat Marietta. SWD just had so much speed Zeier couldn't do anything.

Speaking of Zeier, in one of the links you used in a previous post, Chip Towers briefly compares Stafford to Zeier. He noted that Zeier was more successful/polished than Stafford was in his freshman year. I tend to agree.

Unknown said...

Zeier had Garrison Hearst (So), Andre Hastings (So), Hasam Graham, Damon Evans (although I don't remember him playing), Shannon Mitchell (I think), Adam Meadows, and 1 other former NFL OL in '91. He had a better supporting cast.

Stafford had WRs that couldn't catch VD in a whore house til the final 3 games. And an OL that was at times dominating (SC and AU) and at times horrific...and banged up.


yes, Zeier was more polished as a FR, but Stafford might've looked much better had he had some help last year from his WRs and OL.

Anonymous said...

Dantzler = Imbecile

JasonC said...

Pretty sure Meadows wasn't there in until '92. Bernard "Blunt" Williams was at OT and later played for the Eagles. Jack Swan and Mack Strong were also unsung heroes of the offense.
I understand your point and I will concede that Stafford is probably more physically gifted than Zeier. I am just saying I think Zeier probably was more accurate and "smart" in running the offense as a freshman... that and Hastings was overrated (Brian Bohannon was da bomb!).

JasonC said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
 
Copyright 2009 Georgia Sports Blog. Powered by Blogger Blogger Templates create by Deluxe Templates. WP by Masterplan