Georgia Sports Blog FanShop

September 13, 2007

Richt's Record at Night

(Preface: I know better than to do a post like this without the aid of the media guide. I'm doing it all from memory. So we can argue about my facts at the end)

The more I think about it, the more I think we're going to play Bama at night in Tuscaloosa. I've seen several folks on this site say, "Oh no. Road night games are tougher." Or something similar.

Did you know that Georgia has yet to lose a night game on the road under Richt? His only night time losses away from Sanford Stadium have all come in neutral venues (BC '01, UF '02, LSU '03 in the SECC and WVU '05). Overall his only losses in an opponents home stadium are all daytime games (UK '06, AU '04 and LSU '03).

Richt's Road Record Overall at Night
    2001: 1-0 (GT)
    2002: 0-0 (Auburn was on CBS)
    2003: 1-0 (UT)
    2004: 2-0 (SC, ARK)
    2005: 2-0 (MSU and Vandy)
    2006: 2-0 (SC, Ole Miss)
    Overall: 8-0 at night on the road
Our night record under Richt at home:
    2001 – 1-2 (SC, AU and ARK)
    2002 – 2-0 (Clemson and Ole Miss)
    2003 – none
    2004 – 0-1 (UT)
    2005 – 2-1 (Boise, SC and AU)
    2006 – 0-1 (AU I meant UT.)
    2007 – 1-1 (OSU and SC...thanks for the update)
    Overall: 6-6 under the lights at home
One third of Richt's 18 losses have come at home after dark. Roughly another third have come to the Gators. Just some random tidbits.

BTW -- Heard a rumor of Ole Miss at UGA with a kickoff of 9:00 PM (ESPN2) on September 29th. I checked out the schedule, and it's certainly possible.

PWD

17 comments:

Carolina Dawg said...

Confused here?
2006 (0-1) AU

Didn't we beat Auburn in 2006. I beleive that night loss to Auburn was from 2005.

Anonymous said...

I take issue with one thing here. If you consider a 5:45 start a night game then you would surely consider a 6:45 start a night game as well. Therefore our record this year is a still disappointing 1-1. The AA doesn't consider anything before 6 a night game that's why we may kickoff at 9pm for Ole Miss. (They still have the policy of no more than 2 home games at night per season)

Astronaut Mike Dexter said...

I don't think Vandy '03 was a night game -- I distinctly remember sitting out on a sun-drenched patio at Jocks 'n' Jills in Atlanta wondering why in the holy f$#@ we were down 2-0 to the Commodores at halftime. The '05 game was a night start, though.

Not sure about South Carolina '04 either -- I think the sun was still in the sky when that one started.

Anonymous said...

2002 Florida was definitely at night (7-ish ESPN) and Georgia definitely lost.

The 31st Floor said...

Wasn't 2004 Tennessee a 3:30 CBS game?

Anonymous said...

Yes Jason, we had the Lundquiat/Blackledge team for that game. I remember because they had the decibel meter going the whole time due to the insane crowd the previous week for LSU.

Anonymous said...

9:00! Are you kidding me? That's going to go over like a lead balloon south of the fall line.

JasonC said...

If the game was in Oxford, I could understand a 9pm EST kickoff, since it would only be 8pm there, but 9pm for a game in the ESTz is pretty stupid.

Unknown said...

"Did you know that Georgia has yet to lose a night game on the road under Richt? His only night time losses away from Sanford Stadium have all come in neutral venues"

Not to be too nitpicky, but neutral venues are still "on the road." A better way to phrase that might be "Did you know that Georgia has yet to lose a night game in an opposing team's stadium under Richt?" I only mention this because my immediate thought was "We lose plenty of games in Jacksonville," before reading more carefully.

Will said...

90% sure the SoCar game was a CBS 3:30 thing. I saw it at a decent sports bar, and the tail end of the noon OhioSt-Marshall game was on, and after the start I was a bit more worried about the Herd than I had been.

Unknown said...

You guys are right about the Vandy '03 vs. '05 thing. I should've known that one. That's one of the few games I've missed the past 10 years.

As for the UF thing...I referenced that we've struggled on neutral sites at night in the paragraph above the listing.

I fixed the AU '06 thing to read UT.

As for UT '04 - I'm sticking to my guns on this one for now; although you may be correct. But I'm pretty confident that I'm right on SC 2004. I remember it started at with the sun up, but I think it was a twilight start.

Anonymous said...

http://tennessee.scout.com/3/fbschedule.html

Definitely 3:30

Anonymous said...

Don't forget 2005 at Georgia Tech. ABC telecast the game from Tech that started at 8:00 pm. A great night in Atlanta as Reggie thtrows the late interception and we win 14-7.

Button Gwinnett said...

Day/night.......I don't get why we don't do better at home. I love the fact that we're a great road team. But it makes no sense to have a better record on the road against Auburn, Tennessee, LSU, and Alabama than we do at home. That's just crazy, especially when you consider that those are some of the toughest venues in the country.

And it's not pertaining to just any one coach. It's been a characteristic of ours for as long as I can remember. We need to get our act together vs. Auburn and Tennessee in Athens. That's holding us back from taking the next step just as much as the Florida thing is right now.

Anonymous said...

south carolina 03' was def. a day game. I remeber getting out of there and walking downtown with this hot USC chick I met at around 6-7ish. 99% sure on this. One tends to remember such things

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

dude - i'm pretty tolerant, but I don't roll with F bombs in the comments.

 
Copyright 2009 Georgia Sports Blog. Powered by Blogger Blogger Templates create by Deluxe Templates. WP by Masterplan