Georgia Sports Blog FanShop

July 24, 2008

Coach Richt answers The Celebration questions


"...and when we score, we're going to celebrate right over there."

At SEC Media Days, Richt was asked if The Celebration may have intensified the rivalry with the Florida Gators. His response (per the AJC):
"I don't think there's any doubt it's intensified the rivalry," Richt said Thursday. "But what intensified the rivalry is that we won. OK? I mean, that's the reality."

"You know, people want to talk about streaks in that game. The way I see it, we won last year. We won two out of the last four," Richt said.

"And if you want to start going back in history, you might as well go back to the beginning of the history of the series and see where Georgia is there. I don't know why everybody wants to go just 15 games back. I mean, if you want to go back, go back to the beginning. If you want to talk about recent history, let's talk about last year, the last few games, you know."
In other words, 47-37-2. So check yourself.

John Kaltefleiter at the ABH wrote this, and I loved the wording:
As for Meyer's retaliation plans for Nov. 1, who knows? One thing's certain, though — what was a one-sided rivalry for the last 18 years is now all-compassing. For the first time since Georgia dominated the series before Steve Spurrier's arrival in Gainesville, Florida has more venom for Georgia than any of its other opponents.

Shouldn't it be that way every year with these schools?
More more Georgia vs. Florida headlines:PWD

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Coach Richt got his shots in in a very understated way.Good for him.I suspect he is a little tired of Meyers' posturing.
Only this could have been better is if he had used the third person...

Unknown said...

This was also on ESPN Sportscenter tonight. I never imagined this would be a headline. Bring it you crybaby man-kissers. I need a new belt.

DawgWood said...

It also took the first ten minutes of college football live. Meyer is only doing this to get that mental edge back that he lost when Coach Richt out coached him.

Unknown said...

Richt gets along with Spurrier and Tuberville.

I *like* that he apparently doesn't get along with Meyer. That's a win for his character if you ask me.

Unknown said...

PWD, the caption under the photo is classic. I believe I saw you use it before, but I never commented how excellent it is!

On a side note, I suggest all in attendance this November in Jacksonville, after we score and hear "Glory Glory," change the chant from "and the hell with Georgia Tech" to "and the hell with Tim Tebow." This shall be duly noted on Quinton's earlier post.

Unknown said...

Paul, do you know how to get hold of a hi-res version of the Urb and Richt pic you've got on this thread? I've searched to no avail. I'd love to visit Kinkos with your caption for Dad's framed Xmas gift this year.......

Unknown said...

high res usually requires talking to the reporter

Unknown said...

Let's wait until a Tebow-led team can actually beat Georgia before going and changing a chant over him.

Unknown said...

Well get ready, come November, if we or even both are undefeated, you're going to have Tebow shoved down your throat.

Anonymous said...

Meyer just loves being in the media spotlight. If he isn't all over ESPN, he tries his best to be in the headlines the next day. Saying Tebow is the "best player of this era" is insane. Every article talks about UF having the edge next year because of this but I think Meyer continuing to talk so negatively about us gives us just as much momentum heading into the game.

Anonymous said...

If us and UF come into the 2008 WLOCP undefeated....it's going to be one for the AGES.

I can't wait!

Anonymous said...

I think this has turned out to be a mind game, and we're winning. CMR has UF thinking about this game 24/7. If that's the case someone is going to hand it to them before they get to us. UF is really focused on UGA right now, no doubt. It going to come back to haunt them.

Anonymous said...

Andy, posted this in response to you on another comment on another topic, but:

we only sing "To Hell With GT" when we play them. When we play the Gayturds, its "To Hell with Flor-i-da". And changes for all the teams we play. We don't have the inferiority complex like the nerds where we have to sing about them every game.

Anonymous said...

Hey Urban, nice watch. Tool.

Unknown said...

watcher16,

I was aware of that, and it's very true. I just didn't know how to phrase what I was implying at the time I made my comment.

Oh God, I just saw on YouTube that Jimmy Carter was in New Orleans that time when we beat Notre Dame to claim the national championship!!

:)

Anonymous said...

Carter was on his way out of office, obviously, and wanted to see his state play for the NC. Too bad Jimmy was a just plain terrible President and has proven to be a radical liberal. He is the most dangerous liabilities this country has ever produced. Hell with him.

 
Copyright 2009 Georgia Sports Blog. Powered by Blogger Blogger Templates create by Deluxe Templates. WP by Masterplan