Georgia Sports Blog FanShop

July 25, 2008

Richt: Coping with Expectations for 2008


The Georgia Bulldogs are currently the pick of the litter when it comes to media hype. Particularly at SEC media days. Some highlights from articles around the country:
    Dennis Dodd (Sportsline): Can UGA Hang on to #1
    Part of the reason Georgia could start at No. 1, somewhere, is curb appeal. The pollsters who ignored them in December, love that kind of stuff when it comes to filling out their preseason ballots. Georgia has won its past seven. That's the country's second-longest winning streak. There are 17 returning starters, a studly defensive backfield, a Heisman favorite (Knowshon Moreno) and a blossoming quarterback (Stafford).

    AP: Coping with the Buzz
    "Here's our deal: We know everybody on our schedule can beat us," Richt said. "We know everybody in our division can and has beaten us. "Everybody we play, they all know how to win. We don't sit there and say we got this one and that one and boy that will be a tough one. We know they're all going to be tough. When we win games, I feel relief. I know every victory's a tough one."

    Birmingham News: The Team to Beat
    "Our goal is to focus on the moment, not way down the road," said Richt, adding that talking non-stop about the BCS title can be distracting because "it's too long to be chewing on that bone."

    Rivals.com: Avoiding the Look Ahead
    "There have been people saying, 'Mark Richt, he's a true gentleman of the game. He never gets excited. He's just kind of calm and stoic,' " Richt said. "My family members are just texting me saying, 'We know better.' Not that I'm not a gentleman. But I get riled up. I get fired up. "When I compete myself, whether it's racquetball or volleyball, whatever it might be, cards, my family knows I want to win. I'll do a little trash-talking. I'll do whatever I've got to do to get things riled up."

    Dealing with Expectations: Independent Mail (SC)
    “We can’t worry about what’s going to happen in January. We’re still in July. It’s a long road ahead,” defensive tackle Jeff Owens said Thursday during the annual Southeastern Conference preseason media days event. “We can’t listen to all the hype. We don’t want to end up like Michigan last season.”
See Also:PWD

1 comments:

Unknown said...

And I thought Mo and Owens were a class act themselves yesterday.

 
Copyright 2009 Georgia Sports Blog. Powered by Blogger Blogger Templates create by Deluxe Templates. WP by Masterplan