Georgia Sports Blog FanShop

February 25, 2009

Oklahoma State Game Travel Info (Part I)


Dawgs sack Ok State (Image: Hipple)

I'll have more on this later, but I wanted to give a couple of quick nuggets related to the Oklahoma State game.

A few days ago, Damon Evans told DawgPost.com that he had no interest in playing the Oklahoma State game on Thursday night. This probably squashes the last of that rumor. I'd wager that Damon's preference to avoid Thursday night games is less of an issue than the "T. Boone Factor." I seriously doubt that Boone Pickens spent $165 million to renovate Oklahoma State's new stadium just to have the grand opening on a Thursday Night.

With that in mind, the first travel advisory involves air travel. As I'm sure you know by now, there are no commercial airports in Stillwater. I've seen commenters on this site discuss flying into Dallas or Kansas City. Those folks need to crack out a map and see what a very bad call that would be.

PREFACE: Tickets to the game are available on stubhub for UGA at Oklahoma State. Some pretty decent deals are available given that face is $100.

The three closest towns with commerical airports to Stillwater are:
Oklahoma City (OKC) - 65 miles
Tulsa (TUL) - 64 miles
Wichita, KS (ICT) - 131 miles

Dallas is 272 miles away and Kansas City is 320 miles away according to the Stillwater Convention and Visitors Bureau. Delta serves all three airports and AirTran serves Wichita. Both airlines fly direct from Atlanta.

Tulsa used to be a city that you could fly into via 1 stop for under $250, but I haven't seen that fare available in a very long time. Lately, direct flights into OKC or TUL airports from Atlanta have been running $300-425 round trip. Flights to Wichita have consistently been about half that. The standard Delta best deal to ITC is $230. Airtran matches that Delta deal and occasionally has web specials for as low as $150 round trip.

As for hotel accommodations, we'll cover that later. I know that I'm staying at a Fairfield Inn about 1 mile from the stadium, and I know the Hampton Inn next door is booked. Beyond that, I don't know much. Hope this helps.

See Also:
-- Tickets: UGA at Oklahoma State
-- AJC Travel Info for 2009 UGA Schedule
-- Cowboy Gameday
-- Stillwater CVB

PWD

13 comments:

Mike said...

I'm hoping for the 2:30PM (CT) start so I can stay in Dallas. Fonk Oklahoma.

Anonymous said...

The reason I suggested Dallas or Kansas City has nothing to do with mileage or convenience and everything to do with entertainment and atmosphere.

Those of us who live in the spread-out plains think less of driving some distance to get to places that are worthwhile. You can stay in OKC or Tulsa if you want to be in cities that offer very little of anything, but if you're trying to make a real/interesting trip of it, you'll have to drive--welcome to the west...

Of Tulsa, Wichita, and OKC, OKC is the best of the three by far for cities; unless you're interested in driving to SE Oklahoma for nature activities, there's not really any other criteria to be interested in. Tulsa has some mildly-interesting art deco architecture... when you come here be sure take pity on those of us who are stuck living in this region.

At least it's a short flight to either coast, we like to say.

Anonymous said...

I go out to Tulsa for work sometimes and I am not sure why you would want to visit anywhere in this state... I would leave ATL first flight to TUL and not even spend the night and come back on the last flight if it works with game time.

Anonymous said...

I hope you used your Marriott Rewards points.

Anonymous said...

I can only hope that Jeff Capel thinks as you do, rbubp...

Unknown said...

Nah, I didn't use rewards points for the hotel. I would've at the Hampton Inn, but it was booked.


BTW - Tulsa has 2 assets:

1. Billy Sims BBQ with the 3 foot tall bobble head of Billy, and the Texas Longhorn Toilet. Comedy.

2. There's a great mexican joint that sells a ridiculously good Margarita called "The Panty Dropper."

That's about all Tulsa has. Imagine an entire town that looks like Buford Highway...only without Asians. That's Tulsa.

Anonymous said...

One other thing that needs mentioning is that Delta only flies regional jets to Oklahoma City and Tulsa. I haven't looked at Wichita City. So seating will be limited.

Anonymous said...

Are BAR is a BAR...are you guys saying they don't serve booze in the cities mentioned? I've been to Dallas for Cotton Bowls, and it ain't no different from other cities with BARS. JMHO.

emerson said...

Having gone to an OU and Ok state game this past season, I have a few suggestions.

1)Fly to Tulsa (as long as the $ is ok. Traffic in OKC can be a pain in the butt.)

2) Don't stay at the Motel 6-Stillwater unless you absolutely have to.

3) If you do decide to fly into Ok City, make sure to stop and eat at Cattlemen's steakhouse in Stockyard City: http://www.cattlemensrestaurant.com/stockyards.htm
They have a great steak lunch.

Anonymous said...

Delta and Air Tran fly direct to Wichita. Usually for about $225.

It is a pretty fast trip to Stillwater; wide-open, no traffic roads. Imagine trekking to Savannah on I-16 for three hours.

dawg521 said...

They do sell booze and beer in Oklahoma...BUT, no lie, most of the beer they sell, by law, cannot be more than 3.2% alcohol content....it tastes like pisswater. Some of the more expensive imports are regular, but anything domestic is 3.2%. If you end up driving from Kansas, buy beer before you cross into OK.

I just moved from Oklahoma to Colorado and took the drive up I-35 into Kansas and through Wichita...its a very boring drive, but its not unbearable. Think I-16 between Macon and Savannah.

Richard said...

The Okie State dudes have 8 home games next year. I'm torn b/n this game and Arky (haven't been to Fayetteville yet) as I won't do both. ASU last year was a blast. BTW, anyone know why ASU's sideline faces the sun in the afternoon? I had all these visuals going into the game and they all involved the Dawgs being on the east sideline. I had been to that stadium for the Fiesta Bowl before but never had seen the Sun Devils play. I was pretty buzzed up when I got to my seat and had to double take when I saw the Dawgs in mostly shadow and ASU looking right into the sun. What up wit dat?

Anonymous said...

If you plan to stay in Tulsa, make a point to go have a steak at The Spudder. It is the best steak dinner, and the atmosphere is extremely unique. The entire place, inside & out, including wait staff & menu is done in a historic oil & gas motif. More than enough memorabilia from the early days of the US Oil boom.

Billy Sims does have good barbecue and there are several locations around Tulsa.

Mario is correct about domestic beer being 3.2%, same as Utah if memory serves. Imported 6% beer can be purchased only in liquor stores.

Despite rumors to the contrary, the bars in Stillwater are open until 2am.

Finally, I still need tickets! If you have some to sell, please see my classified ad at www.bulldogvoices.com

 
Copyright 2009 Georgia Sports Blog. Powered by Blogger Blogger Templates create by Deluxe Templates. WP by Masterplan