- Joe Cox -- David Hale has a profile of Cox up on his site. I may have said this already, but I'm coming around on Joe. I think it was Buck Belue who said Joe is probably the #3 QB in the SEC right now. Hard to disagree on that one. The only other viable candidate for #3 QB is Jefferson at LSU. If you've got one of the Top 3-4 QBs in the SEC and a veteran OL, you should be looking at 10 wins. Not a rebuilding year.
- #2 in the East - Dennis Dodd has us as second in the East behind the Gators (ht - Bill). I have to take issue with his selection of South Carolina at #3. Who is a playmaker for the Gamecocks? Their QB is a headcase who committed about 11 turnovers in the loss to Iowa which is the same number of times he's been arrested. Name a WR...Moe Brown? Yeah...he's fast, but those hands aren't sponsored by Palmolive. Cook is gone. Three of their top 4 DBs are gone, and so is Brinkley. You've basically got Norwood (a DE playing linebacker) and a bunch of maybes. They look like the least talented Gamecock squad since 1999, and Spurrier is almost a decade removed from being a genius. I'm thinking we beat this group about like we beat that '99 crew 24-9. My pecking order is:
- 1. UF
3. UT - that defense can stop AU, SC, UK and VU.
- SEC West - I'm with Blutarsky in that I don't know who to pick in the West. I just know it's not Nutt. He's at his best when the least is expected. Worst front runner ever. I'm really leaning towards LSU because they added Chavis and removed the 10 points per game in turnovers from the pre-Jefferson QB Collection.
- Recommended Reading - Bulldog Illustrated recommends some non-UGA SEC Blogs. To his list, I would add RockyTopTalk, RollBamaRoll, AL.com/Sports (great aggregation of Bama and AU news), and the Joe Cribbs Car Wash.
- The Top 10 Games of '09 - Bruce Feldman list his Top 10 games, and the Dawgs aren't in there. I'd obviously remove the USC vs. ND selection in favor of UGA vs. Ok State. Something special is going to happen in that game. One of those two teams is going to start a pretty interesting season on Sept. 5th.
July 7, 2009
I was beginning to get the shakes it had been so long since anything interesting was said about the football team not involving finances or recruiting.