Georgia Sports Blog FanShop

September 10, 2010

Weather for Saturday

This Saturday marks my 20th consecutive game between Georgia and South Carolina attended in person. To no one's surprise, the forecast for Saturday is the same as it is every single time we play them in The Newark of the South.

Tarzan hot.



The various forecasts have the game time temperature pegged for 85-90 degrees at kickoff and rising through the game topping at 90-95 degrees with oppressive humidity. On the bright side, you'll lose a few pounds of sweat. So you'll exit either drunker or thinner due to the lost tonnage.

The two hottest games I've ever attended were at Alabama (2002) and at Clemson (2003). After that I'd wager that the next 5 hottest games I've attended were all in Columbia, and I've attended well over 200 home and away games in person.

Nobody enjoys playing in that kind of heat, but it does favor the deeper team which is clearly the Bulldogs. Overall, my prediction for Saturday is pretty simple. If the Net Turnover margin is -2 or better in our favor, I think we win. If we waltz into the Chicken Coop and turn it over 4-5 times like we did in 2000 and 1996, we're going to lose.

We're more talented. Period. And the only way we're losing on Saturday is to blow ourselves up.

What are the hottest games you've attended in person?

PWD

21 comments:

genxdawg said...

I like it and I totally agree.

ChiliDawg said...

The 2008 game was maybe the hottest game I've ever been to. Granted I haven't been to as many games as some of you.

shliknik said...

2008 UGA/SC game in Columbia...

easily the hottest game I've ever been to...at any stadium.

shliknik said...

But you're right....2003 Clemson was very hot too. I remember getting sunburned.

Sports Dawg said...

I was in Tuscaloosa in 2002 as well, and that's the hottest I've ever been at a football game. Not to mention the fact that the Alabama concessions ran out of water. The Redcoat Band was dying!

JackSpratDawg said...

The 2000 game in Columbia was brutally hot. Made ASU in 2008 look downright pleasant. Course, Quincy's 5 INTs against a team that went 0-11 the year before didn't help matters...

Anonymous said...

Nail.On.Head. 2002 in Tuscaloosa numero uno. 2003 Clemson numero dos.

all school said...

the 2008 home opener in Athens was pretty damn hot. I dont think I've ever been that dehydrated after a game, though I was sitting in the sun all day in the lower north stands.

ColumbiaDawg said...

The 2008 South Carolina game. And I went to Arizona State the following week.

It was so bad that the concessions ran out of water and Gatorade, and I had to settle for Coke.

ColumbiaDawg said...

Weather.com has a 30% chance of thundershowers during the game.

Anonymous said...

At Clemson '03, I remember EMT's carting people off from the upper level. SC '04 I think was my hottest ever. Sat on the last row in the uppers. Only thing that saved us was the breeze.

Hunkering Hank said...

South Carolina with you and Dawgnoxious in 2000(?) and Arizona State (also with you and Dawgnoxious). The Georgia Southern game from two years ago when we were ranked No. 1 was hot as hell too. The worst place on earth is the bathroom at ASU.

CLTDawg said...

I seem to remember one of our opening games from the early 80's being miserable...my brother almost fainted from dehydration in the stands.

Outside of that - I agree w Paul. USC '00 sucked, Bama '02 was miserable hot and Clemson '03 was worse, compounded by the fact that we were sitting approximately 5' from the sun. Here's hoping it doesn't get as bad as those games tomorrow. I'm getting too old for that crap.

Anonymous said...

2008 in Columbia. I had to throw out my shorts and shirt because I could never get the stink out of them.

Anonymous said...

2008 GA/SC, no doubt, and I've been to alot of hot games over the last 37 years. The top of Williams Brice is 18 inches from the sun.

Anonymous said...

2008 UGA/SC. Top of Williams Brice is 18 inches from the sun.

Junkyard said...

Baton Rouge in 1998 (Despite it being at night);
and I agree on T-Town in 2002; and Clemson in 03, with Clemson being the worst.

For some reason, the game in Sanford that sticks out the most was the opener against Wyoming in the late 90s perhaps? It was a 6:00 start I think. I remember the paramedics hauling several away that day from the heat.

Irishdawg said...

2003 Clemson, when they ran out of ice and water. That's bush-league. My brother in law forgot to wear a hat and he's balding. His head looked like a giant apple by the end of the game.

Unknown said...

2002 in Tuscaloosa was steaming hot, more than 2008 in Columbia; but, the winner for all time hottest for me, a 71 grad, was 1990 in Columbia...people in Tuscaloosa in 2002 were referencing that hot day in Columbia as the only game they could recall as hotter...so, 1990 in Columbia

David said...

Willie Martinez must have taught tackling this week. Lattimore is a beast I guess but come on.

We tackle better we win.

We didn't and we won't win many with tackling like that.

Frustrating.

Unknown said...

2004 in Jax
2008 vs. Central Michigan

 
Copyright 2009 Georgia Sports Blog. Powered by Blogger Blogger Templates create by Deluxe Templates. WP by Masterplan