Georgia Sports Blog FanShop

April 12, 2014

GDay or How I learned to love Spring tailgating

I know it's been quiet time here. No excuses outside of work, kids, work, work, and work. And kids.

Also, while I'm interested in GDay proper, I'm as blah about what actually happens today as I've been in a long time. There are a lot of reasons for that, but the biggest is the two and a half game sneak peek we got from Hutson Mason back in the fall. Yes, I'm interested in seeing Ramsey sling the ball down field. I'm interested in seeing how the RBs look, especially Gurley. I'm interested in seeing how Pruitt's approach differs from Grantham's. I'm interested in seeing Quayvon Hicks at TE.

From recent past experience, we'll have one or two guys on defense stand out, with one of them doing something stupid and being forced into rumored that he has a one or two game suspension that will be announced at kickoff against Clemson. We'll either have a score fest or will struggle to score, either causing the message boards to melt down. We'll either make all the FGs or miss several....

GDay is fun, but it is just a glorified open scrimmage that ends up having no real bearing on what we'll see in the fall (and a cool reason to meet on campus for food and drink, but I digress).

Still, there are two things I'm looking for:

  1. The defense, both the #1 and #2 units, to look like they are where they are supposed to be. Thinking back to the past two GDays, the confusion that was one of the most frustrating things about Grantham's tenure here was on display. We keep hearing about Pruitt's approach and how it is more intuitive/simple. I want to see that.
  2. The offensive line to look competent and consistent. Blutarsky hit on something that I've been frustrated with for two seasons, the lack of a regular bunch playing up front. It looks like Theus, Andrews, Pyke, and Houston have locked up spots. Putting aside the inconsistent play from the guys in this bunch, I think getting a regular bunch and having them work together all summer and into fall will be beneficial. Especially to my psyche. Also, I'd think any of the three (Kublanow, DeBell, and Beard) still fighting for the right guard have the ability to play any of the other line spots but center, so we'll have solid backups.
Bring your canned goods. Show up and have some chicken. Visit with old friends. It's GDay, y'all.

Go Dawgs.
TD

0 comments:

 
Copyright 2009 Georgia Sports Blog. Powered by Blogger Blogger Templates create by Deluxe Templates. WP by Masterplan