Georgia Sports Blog FanShop

June 14, 2014

Chuck Noll dies

Former Steelers coach passes away at 82.

My very first attempt at sports writing was as a young boy writing about Super Bowl XIV, where Noll's Steelers beat the Los Angeles Rams. I wrote it on my father's typewriter. I was rooting for the Rams because my obnoxious cousin was an inveterate Steelers fan, and he was terribly obnoxious about it. Still is, when I think about it.

I admired the way Noll's teams played. They focused on fundamentals, played with tons of heart, and worked at doing the little things right every time. He was also very good at finding the types of players that would buy into his methods, who would embrace them and put them into practice on the field.
TD

0 comments:

 
Copyright 2009 Georgia Sports Blog. Powered by Blogger Blogger Templates create by Deluxe Templates. WP by Masterplan