Georgia Sports Blog FanShop

August 31, 2015

New guys on campus: playing or not?

A little tradition where Tyler gives a prediction about what newcomers will play. My greatest hit...
One last one that I just cannot figure out....
Todd Gurley (RB) - It is impossible to say what will happen with Gurley.  I had him in the absolutely going to play list. I had him on the absolutely red shirt list. The latest reports out of camp are that he has done a great job mastering the play book. He got the best vote of confidence Bobo knows how to give when he was said to be 'picking up blocking schemes' well. If pressed on it, I'd say he plays, but it really is wholly dependent on how Boo/Richard does, how well Marshall does, and how well the other two FBs (Hicks and Merritt Hall) do, and how strongly Gurley comes on in camp.
So, yeah. Pretty much ignore everything else in this post. Still, I've gotta do this for my own edification.

A caveat, I think we'll play a bunch of freshmen through the season. Coach Richt has shown a willingness to put his best players on the field over the past few season. I don't expect that to change, though in fairness to my prediction in 2012, that was still a thing then.

I expect Thomson, McGraw, Amechi, Roquan, and Patrick all to start games at some point this season, with McGraw possibly starting UL-Monroe. Jake Ganus will play a bunch as well. On the offensive side, Goodwin and Chigbu are going to have substantive playing time, if not starts this season. Look for some of those young OLinemen to get plenty of game minutes through the season. Same goes for Shaq Wilson at WR.

Now for the guys I think will get red shirted (since this is really a post for us to mock in a year or two):

Mirko Jurkovic (OL) - Ok, he's hurt, so I know he won't play. I had to take a gimme first.

Tae Crowder (RB) - We've had some biblical level stuff go down if Crowder gets his red shirt taken off. I did not meant that as blaspheme, honest.

Grayson Lambert (QB) - Just seeing if y'all are still paying attention.

Johnathan Abram (S) - I haven't heard very much about him, good or bad, out of Pruitt. Which probably means he's as likely to start as to be Dak Prescott on the Scout team.

DaQuan Hawkins (DL) - Same as above, plus he didn't get to campus until like a week ago or something.

So, yeah. I guess I need to downgrade Georgia because we'll likely start 17 freshmen and two transfers, right?
T

0 comments:

 
Copyright 2009 Georgia Sports Blog. Powered by Blogger Blogger Templates create by Deluxe Templates. WP by Masterplan