Georgia Sports Blog FanShop

February 26, 2006

Everything that's Good about Sports

This video made my day on Friday afternoon. I couldn't find a link to it on the CBS News web site that I could link to. (LINK UPDATED: Video embedded in story. It will load on the right side of the page) BurntOrangeNation found a workable link.
CBS ran an incredibly powerful story that brings you to your feet and just keeps on giving each and every minute into it. Jason McElwain, an autistic high school basketball team member in Rochester NY, served as the coach's assistant and spirit leader for several years. On the final game of the season the coach let him finally put on a jersey with the rest of the team. Watch what happens. CBS Evening News

It's a must see.

Update: here's a text article on the game.

pwd

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You learn of a story like this, and it kind of restores a little of your faith in humanity.

How many coaches would have the heart to let a kid like that hang around his team, much less suit him up for a game, much less actually PUT HIM IN?

I saw this story on GMA, and it choked me up. The coach was humble about his own role, but admitted that it was the greatest moment he'd ever had in coaching. I dont know how good or bad of a coach he is, but he's clearly a great human being.

The other great thing about it was that the kid's teammates seemed even happier about his lights out performance than he did. I've rarely, if ever, seen the pure joyousness of players on the sideline that these guys were radiating with every score. It was stunning. It was humbling. It was wonderful.

The joy that you see in a game like this reminds me why I love basketball at the lower levels. It's still about the team, and the team taking care of its own, at its best. The simple pleasure of watching a kid who just loves to play get a chance to have a moment he, and every person in that gym, will remember if they live to be 100, is greater than any NBA title or gold medal any pro has ever won, if you ask me.

Truth really IS stranger, and more improbable, and more wonderful, than fiction. We can all only hope to be part of that kind of moment at some point in our lives.

Anonymous said...

Agreed with all school. " I caught fire. I was hotter than a pistol."

Touche young man. Touche.

Anonymous said...

The Youtube link is busted, but here's the CBS News story with video.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/02/23/earlyshow/main1339324.shtml

Great story. My wife and I got all misty watching it. This is what is good about sports - celebrating achievement.

 
Copyright 2009 Georgia Sports Blog. Powered by Blogger Blogger Templates create by Deluxe Templates. WP by Masterplan