Georgia Sports Blog FanShop

September 3, 2007

SEC Power Poll - Week 1

The Georgia Sports Blog is participating in a grand new experiment orchestrated by cocknfire over at Garnet and Black Attack. He's enlisted an elite group of sports dorks to participate in the first SEC Power Poll. The idea is to rank the SEC teams from top to bottom every week. The full poll should be up Tuesday over at Garnet and Black Attack. I believe the poll will be up on Monday morning subsequent weeks.

We wisely decided not to have a preseason poll, as such polls are inspired by the Devil and are the root of most things wrong with college football. The problem this week is that I only have one game to base my ballot. Add to that fact that only a few teams played quality opponents and that it is difficult to compare, say UL-Lafayette and Western Carolina. With that said, I think this ballot is highly fluid. The SEC right now is bunched up in the middle. The first and last teams were easy, but every other spot was worthy of a Lincoln-Douglas debate. Anyway, here was my ballot:
  1. LSU - dominated Mississippi State after a slow start, third team defense was still killing State.
  2. Florida - yeah, I know about the question marks, but they dominated at home and Tebow showed he could toss it around.
  3. Georgia - looked really good against a hyped Big 12 team, defended a good offense, easily outran an weak defense.
  4. Tennessee - offense looked fine, but defense struggled far away from home against a good team, I still think they will challenge for the East crown.
  5. Alabama - both sides of the ball looked strong and they dominated a patsy at home.
  6. Kentucky - ditto.
  7. Arkansas - DMac lived up to his normal superhuman standards, defense was shaky.
  8. Auburn - bad performance against an average Big 12 team, Quinton Groves looked ready, but no one else did.
  9. South Carolina - bad performance against a below average Sun Belt team.
  10. Vanderbilt - Earl Bennett had a big game, can really shoot up the poll with a win this weekend.
  11. Ole Miss - struggled to put Memphis away.
  12. Mississippi State - D line play in the first quarter was the only redeeming thing about the LSU game, offense needs massive intervention.
Thoughts?

Quinton

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does anyone check the emails on here? I've tried countless times to email you guys but you never respond. I'm trying to get a link to my blog on your sidebar. This is the third time I've made a comment leaving my url address and everything. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, LINK ME!!! Now that my bitching is out of the way...

I just put up an SEC Power Ranking a second ago as well. Check it out.

http://fromthehedges.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Dave,

I'm pretty sure that I already told you that I'm not going to link to you until your site has been up for a while. You've got maybe a dozen posts up, and your site has been up for a month. If I linked to everyone that sent me an email and then stopped posting a week later the site would be cluttered with shit.

Get a grip

PWD

Anonymous said...

Yeah I got the email this morning. No one replied thats all. I would have had no problem if I just got a reply. I'm taking it easy now. I just wanted readers so I'm not blogging for nothing.

Thanks

Anonymous said...

UT might be the 4th best team in the SEC this year but not sure how you can say they are based off of what happened this weekend. Gotta drop them for now, with room for upwards movement if they beat Southern Miss and way up if they win in Gainesville.

1 - LSU (Holy defense)
2 - UGA (most impressive win)
3 - UF (TCOB, still untested)
4 - Arky (DMac is still unstoppable)
.
.
.
12 - MSU

Ally said...

Saw parts of the Bama game and was really impressed. I knew Saban would turn things around, but didn't think he would do it this soon. They definitely looked better than Auburn - should be interesting to see how they challenge LSU for the west title.

Anonymous said...

UF #2...Come on!!!

You realize we beat W.KY last year 48-12...WITH JT3 as our starter. I don't see why everyone is wetting their pants over UF beating them 49-3.

JasonC said...

ally,
You realize that Bama played WESTERN Carolina and Awburn played K-State, right? Bama's scout team should be able to handle WCU. I am glad that Bama is looking good and Wingnut & Co. are looking very beatable, but let's wait until both teams have played decent competition.

Like anon 12:46, I would like to point out that Florida's showing against WKU didn't sway me one bit. Did WKU even realize they were allowed to cover Florida's receivers?
Also, did you notice that duck move that Tebow did before most of his passes? What was that? If it was a PAP move, it was weak. If he is going to duck and chuck each time, a nice pass rush up the middle should help to sit him on his can.

Unknown said...

I'd only rank 5 teams since only 5 teams played more than a glorified scrimmage so far this year:

1. Georgia
2. Auburn
3. Arkansas
4. Tennessee
...
15ish. Mississippi State

Everyone else gets incompletes for now. And I reserve the right to raise Mississippi State all the way to 12 of a possible 12 if LSU ends up actually being really good, but we don't know that for sure yet.

Unknown said...

Speaking of the WKU/UF game, what was up with that first WKU drive? Of course they never stood a chance, but for a minute there, I thought "My God, WKU is gonna go 7 on the board first."

 
Copyright 2009 Georgia Sports Blog. Powered by Blogger Blogger Templates create by Deluxe Templates. WP by Masterplan